Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ is here!!

run4jc
run4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fred's amazing. I ordered the DigiQ Friday around 2 and it is already here on Monday. Granted, UPS Ground Pennsylvania to DC is short, but the fact that he got it out that day is amazing.

A few questions for the experienced ones - once you place the 'holder' in the damper, do you ever take it out? You DO remove the Pit Viper fan after cooking is complete and the egg has cooled, yes?

Any other tips for an excited new owner? Wish I had something to cook tonight but I am going out of town tomorrow and won't cook until the 4th.

Thanks!

IMG_1439.jpg

Comments

• Rob N
    Rob N Posts: 4
    Fred and his crew are great ... I got mine shipped really quick also along with other items. Love the DigiQ ... makes the long cooks relaxing.

I take mine out right away after every cook. You'll notice a little condensation build up in the adapter that drips into the fan housing. I take it out right away and clean it. By leaving it out you have more air flow control for your non-DigiQ cooks ... IMHO.

Tips? It's pretty simple ... the most difficult part is the correct placement of the pit probe other that that it's a no brainer!

Have fun!
  • Couldn't agree more - it's the easiest thing in the world ... I hit the ground running with ribs on my first cook and couldn't be more delighted.

Have fun with the DigiQ

:woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Run4jc,

If you got the 10 CFM blower remeber to close it's damper down to about 1/4 moon shape when looking at the adapter side. Otherwise you will get "hunting"

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I have an adapter for my Large and for my small..I pretty much leave them in all the time unless I'm doing a cook that I don't use the digiQ for which is only when I'm going above 450...rest of the time I use the high temp silicon plugs and leave the adapters in both eggs...I'm smoking cheese this afternoon and using the digiQ to maintain 90d in my small...I use it almost all the time..
  • marrt
    marrt Posts: 22
    Fred's is great. I ordered mid day on a Wednesday and had it Friday. Unfortunately, it did not work properly. So I had to send it to BBQ Guru today. :(
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I use mine for low and slow only. I also use the plug for shutting down the egg, and remove the adapter after I'm done. I only get to cook on the weekends though. Out of town the rest of the week.

Here is the BBQ Guru forum. Should have a lot of helpful tips.

http://www.thebbqguruforums.com/
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Congrats on picking up the DigiQ! It's really great for the low-and-slow cooks, especially the overnighters. Words of advice? Hmm...I use mine on both the LBGE and SBGE, and have the damper set to 1/3 for the L and 1/4 for the S when cooking. Also, don't lose the little piece that goes on the top of the adaptor for teh LBGE if that's what you're using. I pretty much remove mine after I'm done cooking.

Enjoy!