Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night\'s Chicken

Options
run4jc
run4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I decided to do a simple smoked chicken - had a whole chicken plus a couple of loose breasts (!!). Rubbed them with olive oil and sprinkled my pork butt rub on them. Stuffed half an onion in the cavity of the chicken.

Raw chicken ready to cook...

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

Egg is 'smokin'...

IMG_1430-1.jpg

Breasts are ready

IMG_1436.jpg

45 minutes later the 'bird' is ready

IMG_1438.jpg

Family was once again amazed at the flavor and moistness of the meat with no water pan. Used applewood mixed in with the fire and the placesetter along with a drip pan.

Gotta love that egg...and my DigiQ came today - this weekend should be fun!

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Great looking cook....what dome temp. are you going with?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • run4jc
    Options
    350. It was amazing - I 'ramped' it up to 350 with fire up to the ring, then choked down on the bottom damper to about an inch or inch and a half open. It eased past 350 then settled back down to 350 and that is where it stayed the entire, 2 hour cook.

I know the DigiQ will be great for the really low and slow cooks, but it doesn't have much work to do considering how stable the egg is by itself.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    GREAT looking skin on that bird. Was it crisp? I have traditionally done my whole chicken at lower temps (275-325) but havbe been intrigued by the recent posts about 500 degree/1 hour birds due to the crisp skin.
  • run4jc
    Options
    It was - all the fat seemed to have rendered away. I had a drip pan under it and it had the 'good stuff' along with the fat.

The skin on top was crisp - the skin underneath was kinda mushy.

350 seemed to work well, but I read one post that talked about taking out the backbone, mashing the bird flat an cooking it fast at 500. that's next....
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    That's some fine lookimg yard bird. Well done! ;)B)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Beautiful cook. Just curious, how did the family know the breasts were moist, I wouldn't have shared until the big chicken was done.Haha :evil: The egg cooks some great chicken.