Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wierd ?

MonetsMom
MonetsMom Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Evening Everyone...

Has anyone here experienced getting sick from grilling? I don't know if it was the oak charcoal (had some trouble getting the fire going, lots of smoke at first), the rareness of the center of the steak, or our 110-degree heat, but something went haywire after my first Egg meal.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    I have been eggin for less than a year but I have cooked every single meal on the egg since buying it. The wife and I have eaten nearly everything from chicken legs to scallops, pork butt to NY strip, veggies to pizza. We have used 4 different brands of charcoal and nearly a dozen different wood chips.

Some cooks have been better than others but none have made us sick. The closest I came was a case of heartburn or the ring of fire from eating lots of hot pepper dishes on an empty stomach.

I would chalk it up to the 110 degree heat, maybe a bad cut of meat, or perhaps coincidence. Just make sure you aren't lighting or fueling the egg with some type of chemical fluid or starter that leaves a toxic residue.

Hope your next egg meal is a winner!
  • MonetsMom
    Thanks for your info. Maybe you're right!! I sure won't give up. By the way, how many ladies are on the forum?
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    There seem to be a few ladies out there but probably no more than 20% of the total member base judging from all the posts and photos I have seen. Some couples or families post under one forum name so it is hard to tell. My wife loves the egg but she isn't much for the PC or internet so I do all the posting.

Another note on the egg and health: you might consider getting a Reveo Marivac unit to clean and tenderize your meat prior to cooking. If you use a solution made of water and citric/ascorbic acid (I use Fruit-Fresh which is sold at Walmart) then it will clean the harmful products from within the meat and replace them with healthy marinade in addition to making the food much more juicy and tender. I was skeptical of the benefits until I got my Reveo on sale at Amazon. I have been blown away by the results and consider it the best overall egg accessory I own.

My sister is a health nut and recently got her egg. She has only been cooking a month but loves it and hasn't been sick at all.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Good morning, "a lady" egger weighing in here! LOL I'm Julie and live in Maine. We have been egging for about a year and a half. There are a few of us and we try to keep the guys on here using a little manners :) there are a few I am about to give up on, I met one at the New England egg fest yesterday and I had had great hope for him up till that point. Just like all of them Promises promises, This one was for Chili, never saw it. Never even got a whiff of it.... :whistle:
    Ok back to your question. It sounds like a combo of the heat and I bet the smoke. If you were messing with it a lot to get it going and had to keep checking it I bet you drew in a lot of it. that will make you a little queasy. If you think it was the lump maybe the smell of that the next time you light it might be a little yucky. i use the twisted paper towels to light mine a lot. just douse 2 twisted towels with vegi oil lay criss crossed on top of your lump and add a few small pieces on top and light the 4 corners. open the draft all the way and take of the top. give it a few minutes to get going and then replace the daisy wheel and start closing the draft. keep your face back from the top and the smoke. give it at least 10-15 minutes to get going and do not put your food on till it is clear coming out the top. look for the heat shimmer out the daisy wheel. Up here it is still easy we are lucky if we are getting above 60! Hope that helps, the egg is a great oven, grill, smoker, baker :) Julie
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I doubt the unpleasantness was from the charcoal, unless you put the meat on too early. Any lump has a burn off period when volatile orhanic chemicals left over from the charcoal making process are driven off. Those can taste quite unpleasant.

At 110, I get dizzy just walking across the street.So I'd guess the heat, and perhaps an under cooked steak. At 110, food pathogens will grow really quickly. I was surprised to learn that cooked foods go bad faster than uncooked. The guideline is no more than 4 hours between 40 and 140 for uncooked, and 2 hours in the same range for cooked.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Probably quite a few women. Now ladies? I'll have to ponder on that one. Welcome!

MShark
  • MonetsMom
    Hi Julie in Maine!!
    Thank you for your great tips. I'm glad to hear there are a few of us chic-eggers out here. If I waited for a man to bring me a grill, choose the provisions, and show me how to work it, I'd starve to death!!
    I feel fine now, and figure it was the smoke, based on all the good stuff I've been reading here.
    Happy Grilling!!

Pamela in AZ