Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops

Options
UnConundrum
UnConundrum Posts: 536
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife wanted scallops tonight... geez. When do I get what I want? Anyway, served on some orzo with feta, black olives and some fresh oregano from the garden.

P1020442.JPG

P1020443.JPG

P1020444.JPG

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I'm on your wife's side. :woohoo: Love scallops. What did you cook those on? As a side with steaks, I just put mine in a little cast iron pot with garlic butter.
    scallops5.jpg

Mike
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Just a thought, get her the scallops that she wants; and maybe you will get what you want. :evil: :whistle:

I like to bacon wrap my scallops and cook them over spiced shrimp.(pic was real low resolution)

DSCI0025-4.jpg
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Mike, If you're a scallop fan, have you tried dry scallops?

The pan is a griddle I got at Cabelas. I just checked online, and they're not listed, but I saw they still handle them when I made a visit to the Hamburg PA store about three weeks ago. The fit the large almost perfectly. It was cheap too if I remember right. Just noticed that Spring Chicken is using the same griddle (other side) for his catfish post.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Does it look like this? Will try the dry. Love scallops.

slcakes2.jpg

Mike
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Nope, it's round ....

Most normal supermarket scallops have about 20 - 25% added water and they're soaked in a bleaching solution to make them all look alike. Dry scallops have no added water. Have you noticed problems getting that nice sear on the scallop? With the standard scallops the liquid in them releases and causes the scallop to steam, never forming the crust/sear. The dry are a little more expensive, but believe me, they're worth it. Tonight's were so sweet... just great.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I see what SC has. I think my square one will work, it has the griddle on the other side. Need to find a good seafood place. I don't think Sam's has those.

Mike
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    My local Sam's carries beautiful looking scallops, but they do have the added water :( so i've never tried them.... I asked the seafood guy just last week and just go the canned answer "this is what we have."
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    "Beautiful' scallops are in reality very bad scallops. If scallops are a wonderful white color, they have been injected with a water/bleach solution. Good scallops are off white to almost tan in color. They should have no odor and be great to eat before you cook them. If they taste funny raw, then they will taste no better cooked.

Since I have discovered dry scallops, I have moved away from bacon wrapping them. Scallops, lightly seasoned and seared over high heat in a olive oil/butter combination need nothing else but a drop of fresh lemon juice. While this may be sacrilege on this board, I believe that cooking scallops in an egg does not add to their flavor. For the 10 U or the 10 - 20, saute them on high heat for 90 seconds each side. The flavors of smoke from either wood or lump charcoal do not get into the scallops in this short of a time.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    You been talking to Chubby? :evil:

Wise man......"a little nice for a little naughty" is his version of that story. B)