Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnite (and all day) Cook Success.........22 LBS. of Meat!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy All,[p]Well, I just tried my first serious overnite cook on my large Egg and it was a total success! I cooked 6.5# & 8.5# pork shoulders rubbed with my variation of JJ's rub and a 7# (I think) brisket flat rubbed with EZ Life. I used a homemade dual level grid over an inverted platesetter with the beef below the pork. The dome temps ranged from 200F. to 325F. over a period of, get this, 23-1/2 hours (8:00PM-7:30PM)!! Please note that the temperature range did not fluctuate on it's own. I used MickyT's temp rings throughout the cook with the bottom vent wide open. A #2 ring was used for the overnite portion. I switched to a #3 ring in the AM to bump up the temp a bit to help the smaller shoulder get through it's stall point. When I took off the smaller shoulder, I switched to a #5 ring to help push the large shoulder through it's stall.[p]The brisket was done at around 16 hours, the smaller shoulder at 18-1/4 hours, and the large shoulder was done at the 23-1/2 hour mark. This was all done with one load of lump......ceramic cooking RULES![p]To get ready for the cook, I removed the fire ring and fire box and cleaned out all of the ash. I loaded the (fresh) lump to the top of the fire box using Elder Ward's system of large pieces on the bottom and smaller pieces on top.[p]In closing I'd like to thank everyone on the BGE forum for their totally unselfish sharing of information, tips & tricks. Thanks to you guys & gals, Ann and I had chopped brisket sammiches for lunch and pulled pork sammiches for supper, with one heck of a lot of vacuum-sealed meat frozen for future quick-and-easy meals.[p]Take care,[p]Jeff

Comments

• lo n' slo,
    I keep seeing reference to Micky T's smoke rings, but haven't been able to locate hair nor hide about them. Any help you can offer?
    Many thanks...nde

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    lo n' slo,[p]You as well as many others have been mentioned lately sorting the lump per Elder Ward's instructions.[p]It is my understanding that Elder was doing a little joshing when wrote about the lump sorting. Elder did a heck of a job in his write up and I wish he posted here more. So let's not start flaming EW here. I just wanted to get this out for anyone new who may not be aware of this.[p]Congrats, on the cook sounds like there were some good eats at your place.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Jethro,
    No, Elder was not joshing when he talked about sorting lump. That's the way he does it. As he said in his write up, he doesn't claim that's the only way or the best way to do it. He was asked to write up what he does, and that's exactly what he did. Tim M says that he finds that the lump comes out of the bag sufficiently sorted. I don't sort my lump, but for long cooks, I do clean out the old lump and start by placing a few large pieces on the bottom, and then I add only reasonably-size pieces after that. I.e., I don't dump the bag in and allow lots of small chips to get in, assuming there are lots of small chips in the bag. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Hey Jeff!!![p]My lunch invite must have got lost in the snail mail. Oh well, next time for sure. You are in for some good eats my friend. I'm gonna do a 8 lbs butt (bone in) this week God willin.[p]Glad them there rings are workin for ya. They do a great job on those overnighters.[p]Sorry for the profile search. I've been there for 2 years or so and then poof!!!!!! Gone just like that.[p]I will get that fixed soon.[p]Anyone intersetd in the rings can contact me at mtinnon@gcdies.com.[p]Keep them good cooks comin man......[p]
    Lata.[p]Mick[p]

• MickeyT.,[p]Hi guy! I just don't know what the 'ell happened to your invite.....stoopid USPS! Ha! I'll email ya next time! Take care, bro![p]Jeff
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I agree, Elder Ward does some tongue in cheek stuff but you know when he's doing it. The two times I just "dumped" I had problems. Every other time, when I do a simple sort (large pieces on the bottom smaller on the top) I have lump left over and I NEVER have trouble during my cook. I'll stick with EW's method.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Just saw your post today - was busy working on taxes yesterday. [p]In any event way back in the pre TNW days on the forum, at least two long time members of the forum made that comment re: Elder joking about the sorting of lump. I haven't ever asked Elder about. Given that I don't sort mine and just dump it in and haven't lost a fire yet I assumed the statements regarding EW joking were correct.[p]It appears you've spoken with EW on this matter so ..... EXXXCUSSSSSSE MEEEEEE! (said with tongue in cheek and best Steve Martin impersonation possible).[p]To any newbies who read my post above - never mind (Rosanne Rosanna Danna).[p]Regards,
    Jethro