Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egglightenment

Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am now in my third month of egging and I have quickly come to the conclusion that an instant read thermometer is among the most indispensible tools.

From surfing this forum, I know that the tool of choice is the thermapen. Yet, living in Canada is somewhat of an obstacle as the already high cost will be boosted even higher by Canadian duties and taxes plus the shipping company is going to charge me a fee for the privilege of collecting said duties and taxes.

So, I have tried making do with a thermometer I picked up at my local BGE dealer and it leaves much to be desired. Last weekend, I over cooked a rib roast waiting for the thermometer to reach 135. Last night, I cooked up some turkey breast and once again the thermometer let me down.

Luckily, I had already mentioned to my better half that the tool of choice of eggheads was the thermapen although she also knew the associated cost. Well, after complaining about our thermometer last night while enjoying our eggilicious meal, she told me that we should take the plunge and invest in a thermapen. Not wanting to waste any time at all, I quickly put in an order! One green thermapen is now on its way and I can hardly wait till it arrives. :woohoo:

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Chef Charles,

I agree totally that the Thermapen is an indispensible tool for the egg. I love mine and use it all the time.

You could have gone to Mollyshark, skipped all the red tape, and got it at a lower price. But, I don't know if she has a choice of colors. The one I got from her was grey.

Anyway, you will love the Thermapen

Arvadaman
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    You won't regret the investment Charles..it's worth even more than they sell if for ;)
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I left mine in a pocket and couldn't find it for two weeks and it drove me crazy almost ordered another.
  • i'm not sure i understand how you overcooked something 'waiting' for the thermometer, but you will love the thermapen. you can overcook something even with the thermapen if you don't stick the meat at the right time. for large roasts, you really need a stick-and-stay remote thermometer so you can monitor the meat temp from outside the egg without opening the dome.
  • I just ordered a Thermapen from the company this week, but got a refurbished one. My brother and a buddy (both eggers) bought them that way and have been very happy with them. If you call the company (Phone # on their website) you can request a refurbished one, and save some Peso's.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    CC,

e-mail me at steveanelson@hotmail.com. I need a new one and I can get them here.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Sorry,

I read the rest of your post after the first reply.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON