Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yellow squash

porchegg
porchegg Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have some fresh yellow squash for the grill tonight. Any suggestions on how I should spice or cook it? I was thinking of cutting it in strips with just some salt and pepper.

Comments

• Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper is a family favorite for squash and zuchinni. I grill them over med-high heat for 4-5 min per side until they have a little char going.

I acutally cut them into 1/2 circles and skewer them. I saw this method on Good Eats with Alton Brown.

I then call them "lollipops" and my 3rd year old loves lollipops...gotta do what you can to make the kid eat veggies.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    we followed this one the a few weeks ago::

Zucchini, Roasted

Headhunter,twas me, we do this all the time. take zuchini and yellow squash, slice lengthwise 1/4 in thick. slice bell pepper, vidalia onions, mushrooms. mix all these together with a little olive oil. place in a foil lined pan. put 1 stick butter, 4-6 tbls. of worcheshire sause, garlic, salt, pepper. place in egg, indirect heat for approx. 1 hour at 300 or until what i call half done, that is half cooked, not squishy, still a little firm. serve over rice with whatever you want. good eats. another good one is take the same above veggies and cook them direct over heat until halfway charred. 5 minutes before taking up, slice some roma tomatoes lengthwise and put on grill. take everything up and make a sandwich on a nice long french bread, or cuban bread stick. brush a little olive oil on bread, layer veggies and hold on for a great and healthy sandwich. also put some provolone cheese on bread.

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Slicktop, 04/29/02

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    I slice them 1/4" or a bit more, toss with EVOO, S&P, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a pinch of oregano then grill direct 350°-400°, turning, until done (by limpness). Yummy.
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Slice them in half length wise and coat with Evoo, salt, pepper and a light dusting of cayene pepper. Grill at 350 until desired doneness.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I cut them into 1/4" - 1/2" medallions, toss with a sliced sweet onion or two (about equal parts onion and squash), salt, and pepper.

Cook in a cast iron skillet with a few pats of butter until it is all yummy.
  • porchegg
    porchegg Posts: 47
    Thanks for all the ideas. I can't wait to get them on the EGG.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I follow Fidel's recipe but instead I use bacon grease in a CI Skillet...Pork Fat Rules........ :woohoo: