Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our table in the works

Options
jrterrier
jrterrier Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

Well, I found the table plans, printed them, and started adding the ideas we have had.

I have a few questions I hope someone can help answer. We live in w. Washington, so moisture is a problem.

1. Has anyone put drawers in their table... and, if so, how did you solve the moisture swelling problems?

2. If you used hinges, what type of metal were you able to find to avoid rust.

3. Has anyone used formica countertop laminate type top, and if so, what drawbacks does it have? I need to keep weight down as I know I will be the one moving it in the future, not my hubby who's health is declining. I'm open to other ideas too. All suggestions will be severely investigated.

I can't wait to get it finished and be able to barbeque again. I'm having withdrawals. It could have been done if only I didn't have so many ideas for changes. :ohmy:

My mother brought us a 12# turkey. Can't wait to spatchcock that sucker. YUMMMM

Thanks all,
Bonnie

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Our climate is not as damp as yours, but the swings via swelling are an issue. When I made this drawer to fit in the carcass used to raise my small I just purchased steel drawer runners and have never had any problem.
    IMG_1388.jpg

One thing I did do though that you can't see is I lined the inside of the riser with aluminum flashing to make it water tight.

Then for this drop down work table
    IMG_0626.jpg

they are merely supported with these hinges also with baked on paint. Several years later and while the springs show some rust it doesn't weaken the hinge so I don't worry about it.

IMG_0627.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    You don't have to use wood...view the wire rollout racks I found at Lowes for instance...DSC00073.jpg
    DSC00066.jpg
    DSC00076.jpg

There are other pictures on my blog
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Chuck_K
    Chuck_K Posts: 47
    Options
    Bonnie,

I am in the process of building a nest for my BGE "Joe".
    I am going to have two drawers in it. I went to Home Depot and bought two full extension ball bearing slides for drawers. I must emphasize FULL EXTENSION slides. These will allow the drawer to pull all the way out so you can get to the very back. These are what I will use. Once a year they will get pulled out, WD40 sprayed on them, then oiled. I have done this for many outdoor projects with out a problem. The drawer bottoms are going to be made from stuff called "expanded metal" which is like the grates on a cat walk. That is to prevent any accumulation of water in the bottom of the drawer. Photos will follow after the nest is complete.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I would stay away from laminate top (formica) if you have concerns about moisture. I would try just wood, tiles, or granite (you can get sink cut outs from granite fabricators in your area and have them cut them to size pretty cheap. Water will eventually get under the laminate and swell the wood and you'll have a big mess. Just my $.02 worth.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    Here is my table with a drawer. I used drawer slides from Lowes and lined the drawer with stainless steel sheet metal.
    IMG_7979-1.jpg
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    Options
    what type of wood did you use on the top...It looks really nice.
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    I used sliding doors on the front of my egg table and simple side/back walls so the entire table would be available for storage. I attached the doors with the chrome-plated sliding drawer tracks which are available from Lowe's for about $8 a pair. The 3-door design allows me to access any area of the table without removing the doors or I can easily remove the 2 outside doors for cleaning if needed.

After bolting the tracks in place and mounting the doors, I sprayed all exposed surfaces of the tracks heavily with white lithium grease. My table has been outside in the very hot (100+) humid weather for a few months now without any sign of rust or swelling.

Here are a few pics of the doors and a link to my full table report (lots of photos, be patient).

Hope this helps.

01-front.jpg
    02-front.jpg
    03-front.jpg
    tableaccessories1.jpg
    tableaccessories2.jpg
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I used cedar on the tops and drawer front. pressure treated 2x4s. there are wheels under the egg end legs. I have a round paver under it now.