Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After looking at all the great recipes on prime rib and cooking with the BGE, how could I go wrong? I like leaving the bone in tact, it takes the heat. My prime rib was 4.5 pounds and it was finish in 2 hours and 20 minutes at 350 to 400 degrees. I did not use a drip pan and only open the EGG twice to check the meat. I used the BGE gauge to check the meat and it seem to be right on(145 - 150). Meduim on the outer meat and nice and pink on the inner meat. I was amazed at all the juices in the prime rib as I began to cut it. I place potatoes on the last 50 minutes. The BGE is something else.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Master Diver,
    Interesting. Was it in a V rack over the fire with no drip pan or just bone side down on the grid? Mine had a lot of jucies in that pan when it was done, I guess yours turned out fine. I agree with you about leaving in the bone. It was really simple to cut them off anyway, one cut and they all came off (I had 3 bones on on and 2 on the other). [p]Tim

• Tim M,Just bone side down. It was very tender with a lot of juice left. This was the first prime rib for me. I'll try a drip pan next time.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Master Diver,
    I am not sure you need one. If it came out the way you liked it, then maybe I will try it without one. I have only done two prime ribs and one was a little under cooked (took it out too soon) and I would have like a little more searing so maybe no drip pan would work if the fat dripping wouldn't do any harm. [p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tim M, Looks like Master Diver is making waves with the BGE!! Good job!!
    C~W

• Kamper
    Kamper Posts: 41
    Master Diver,[p]I'm so proud. Only the second time you fire up your egg, and you do a prime rib. I'm getting a little misty eyed (let me compose myself)...you're boldly grillin' where other divers have yet to grill.[p]Now go get a Polder.[p]Beth (where you got egged) said she wants to have an Egg blow out here in Panama City Beach. She said she would provide the flesh, however, you and I have to hire ZZ Top to perform (would have been The Dead, but without Garcia...).[p]See you at work.[p]Kamper
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Master Diver,[p]You are definitely bonding with your EGG. Congratulations.[p]Spin