Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installing Spring Hinge Lock on large BGE.

Options
Dutch
Dutch Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since I broke the Dome last week on my large BGE I decided to upgrade to the new spring hinge lock. Following all the instructions provided with the lock, having the band locating pins in place, and the lower band evenly positioned with regards to the little step, I am having a problem with the band on the dome as I cannot get it in a parallel position with the bottom band, or parallel to the step on the dome.
As a result I do not have 360 degrees contact. I can take a bussiness card and move it freely in two areas 180 degrees apart. I have not fired up the smoker as yet to see how much smoke will escape through these gaps.
Can anyone give me hint of what I have done wrong and how to correct this situation. Thanks for your help; Dutch.[p][p]

Comments

• Dutch.,[p]Apoligies, Didn't read your message before I posted mine. I had a similar problem. See my post just after yours.[p]Rich K.

• Cracker
    Cracker Posts: 3
    Options
    Dutch.,
    I had the same problem putting together my BGE this weekend. While I was doing my first cook I noticed a lot of smoke coming out where the spring assemble is (where the dome meets the bottom). Looks like the spring assembly pulls the top band down not allowing it to be parallel to the dome indentation. While cooking I loosened the top band, let the dome settle then re-tightened using a second wrench to try and keep the top band from pulling down as I tightened it. It is still not parallel, but there was no smoke coming out. By the way did spatchcock chicken and it was great.