Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skinless spatchcocked chicken ?????

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked many spatchcocked chickens and they've all turned out fantastic, but these days, I've been trying to lose some weight. (I know, the dreaded "D" word) [p]Anyway, to the point. Has anyone tried it skinless on the EGG, and if so, what changes, if any?

Comments

• DavidR,
    Why not cook it skin-on and them remove the skin? Would stay juicy that way, I suppose.[p]
    Doc Pigg

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    DavidR,
    I am also on a diet. Down 28 pounds in the last 8 weeks. During that time I cooked a delicious brisket and a wonderful Spatchcocked Chicken. Like Doc Pigg suggested, I just removed the skin when I was ready to eat. The most and tender meat was very tasty without the skin.[p]The Egg also does vegetables well. You might try them with your next chicken.[p]Good luck on your diet.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Yeah, I think I'll do it that way.[p]28 pounds in 8 weeks? Very impressive! I'm 240 now, and would like to be under 200 by Eggtoberfest. If you don't mind, what kind of diet are you on, and what kind of regimen are you following?

• DavidR,
    I lost 70 pounds in seven months on a low carb, high protein (lots of barbecue and grilled meat) about a year ago. It's been off for a year with no problem. Golly, I love smoked meat and I found a diet that fits with it.[p]pastor_chuck

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    DavidR,
    The first thing I cut out was my daily two Texas-Size mugs of Rum & Coke. I started drinking as much water as I could stand. The rest was a matter of eating what I wanted but in moderation. For example, I usually had two eggs, five or six cubes of turkey ham, a pack of instant grits (us southern boys have gotta have our grits); a half bagle or biscuit and orange juice for breakfast. Now its one egg, one small sausage patty, a half package of instant grits, a slice of whole wheat toast and orange juice. Not much of a change in total intake but a big difference in how much of it sticks to my ribs. I also dusted off the treadmill and do 20 minutes at 3.1 mph (walking speed) on a 4.5 degree incline. Not much by exercise standards but at 61 years old and out of shape, enough to make the diet/exercise thing work for me.[p]I was trying to avoid having to take high blood pressure medication or being put on a strict diet by the doctor. I was at 298 pounds (I'm 6'3") and as of this morning at 270 pounds (I keep records to make sure its holding to plan). [p]I just took my blood pressure and it is 130/79 so I think I may be doing myself some good.[p]Oh yea, I feel great... much better than before.[p]Good luck with your diet.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA