Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turds - Direct or Indirect?

AndyR
AndyR Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen the Atomic Buffalo Turd recipe done indirect in some sort of pan. Has anyone done them direct?

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    AndyR,
    Kind of. I had a disposable tim baking pan under them. Not that as indirect as a plate setter, but it deflects some. Do 'em direct. Worst that can happen is you have to pull them off a little early. Then they will be nice a hot, so that's really not a worse case scenereo...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • AndyR
    Wardster,[p]I can't recall ever cooking bacon over the fire so this will be a first. I'm thinking that the bacon fat will drip into the fire flare up. That kind of cook is going to take a lot of attention.
  • AndyR, I think you will possibly get a combination of cheese melting and falling out and burning bacon fat flames on direct. The pan method works well, but post your direct results if you try it. They are good!

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    AndyR,
    I do them direct at 300-350 degrees. No attention needed. Just put them on and forget. Never had a problem with flare ups or burning. Have made them every night this week.[p]Beers,[p]Mr Beer

• AndyR
    tn slagamater,[p]Cooked 'em in a cookie sheet @ 350º - 400º for about 45 min. Seemed fine but I'd like to elevate the turds to let the fat drip away and try lower temps. The bacon could have rendered a little more fat. Not being a Jalapeno fan, I did not taste them. Guest's had high compliments though. The work involved was a little too much for the results. [p]TIP: Use gloves when de-seeding the japs. My hand still feels like vicks vapor rub is on them. (smiley thing).[p]Andy