Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cat's Babybacks Rule!

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can't get enough of dem Cat's Babybacks. Got a three half slabs of pretty ribs cookin!! They were turbo-vacuum-marinated for a bit over 48 hours in the firdge. Dome temp 275 over drip pan/water. Got up to 300 for a bit. They look happy. Out of black mustard seeds, so I used yeller. We'll see what happens.[p]Hope y'all are having a great SP day. Watch dat brewsky consumption if yer gettin behind da wheel.[p]Have fun
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Yellow Mustard Seeds worked fine last weekend, I did her recipe on 3 of them Babies. People said they were the best ribs they had ever eaten. I did them on a Weber Kettle at a cooking demonstration. Disappointed I couldn't use the BGE.

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Nature Boy, don't worry,, I never Q and drive,, but I always drink and Q. Heehee! So are you saying that Cat's are better than yours? I just got the rice wine and Chinese 5 spice powder. Should I forget them, delete your brew from the experment and go with Cat's? I think not. Cat has shot straight with me so far,, but your Mahogeny wonders got my attention too. OKAY then,, the experiment continues. Gotta go! It's time to prepare the contestants for tomorrows competetion.. Yall watch out for Dr. Chicken. He's different since his close call. He's started acting like me.. EYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHhhaaaaaaaaa!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    The recipes are so different. Do em both, but cleanse your palate in between. They are quite different from each other.[p]And, daggonit, CAREFUL with that five spice powder. No more than 1/8 teaspoon. It grows. If you use what some recipes call for it will be all you taste (I have seen 1 TBSP called for!!!)[p]Can't wait to hear your results.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Nature Boy, I got your hint before about the 5 spice. It smells great. Hard not to use more,, but I just used a pinch. I'm sorry to say that I have put Cat's recipe on hold. I thought I had everything, but no juniper berrys. It's probably for the best anyway. Three good recipes like these could possibly be fatal. Your Ginger Mahogeny smells great. There may be life after creole.. I'll let you know tomorrow.. Sorry Cat,, but your's are definately next.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Good move. The juniper berries are key. Didn't realize until a few months ago that juniper berries are the main flavor in gin. Unique flavor that melds beautifully with the pork. The heavy garlic, brown sugar and mustard seeds are large contributors to her recipe, but Ms. Juniper Berry is the queen of that dish (IMO). Why not add an ounce or 2 of gin to the marinade when you get to it (whaddya think Cat??)[p]Keep us posted.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com