Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizzas & A Question

Options
Fencewire
Fencewire Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first pizzas on the egg last night, the finished product is below. My question, once I got my fire up to about 500, I put the platesetter in, feet up, my grill, a rack extender and my pizza stone. Once I closed the lid the temp was down to 300 and it never returned to 500. What did I do wrong? I think it was mostly due to not having a lot of good lump in the fire, it was at the end of a bag and I didn't have any more on hand (rookie mistake). Do you guys agree?

Anyways, the pizzas turned out pretty good, nice crispy crust.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You need to put the PS, pizza stone, etc. in while the egg is heating up......else it will 'sink' the heat, which is what you experienced.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    Good looking pizza's! Are you saying that you put the placesetter in cold, after you got the temps up to 500*? If so, I put my setter in so it heats up while the fire gets going. When it hits 500* at the dome, I know the setter is heat soaked, and it will rebound from opening quickly.

If you had the setter in while you were heating up, check your ash pit to see if it needs cleaned out, the vent holes in the fire box, and your pit grate. Maybe it's time for a cleaning!
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I suspect the platesetter and pizza stone absorbed a lot of heat dropping the temp. Preheat these ites along with the egg next time and I think you will have less problems. I personally prefer to cook my pizza's at 400 dome temp, indirect, on a pizza stone for 30 minutes.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    You want to have that plate setter once you get that fire going. I believe that it would be the culprit in bringing down your temp.

Greg
  • Fencewire
    Fencewire Posts: 34
    Options
    Ok, that was my issue then, I thought it might be the reason. I think it was actually two fold in that I got the plate setter in and my good big coals were few and far between.

Thanks for the replies.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    there is alot of ways to cook a pizza in the egg, if you liked the result dont change a thing, if you didnt, try other setups. we dont all look for the same thing in a pizza.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it