Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin internal Temp

Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What would you say is the ideal internal temp. for pork loin??......I have posts from 145 to 170???? TKS

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i like the 145 range wife likes it a little higher so it is really only a matter of taste... i think 170 is way way to high.. i would not go above 150 because with carry over 150 may go as high as 158...

just my $.02 ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I like to pull around 140-145 'cause as Bente says they will creep 5-8 degrees.
  • there's two different ways to do it. pull at 140 then a 5 degree carry over for medium or foil at 140 with some liquid like apple juice and take it to 190 for 'cut with a fork' pork

abtporkloin-004.jpg

abtporkloin-027.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    pork is safe at 140, after that, it's a matter of taste.

pork up here (U.S) is quite safe.

alas, american pork has very little fat though, because everyone here is "health conscious" (yeah, right) and demands less fat. you might have better stuff available.

bacteria on the outside are dead at 140, and trichinosis on the inside is dead at 140 as well.

i go 145
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beli
    That is precisely the issue.......making it tender.......i LIKE IT "CUT WITH A FORK" will foil do it??? you mean foil & leave it on the egg or foil & keep it inside cooler???
  • I keep this on my desktop as a quick link. I don't live by it, but it come in handy after a few beers and you arent sure about your temps. I am sure you can find the pdf version on the internet if this doesn't post very clean.
    Isitdoneyet.jpg
  • Beli
    It's perfect Barrett TKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • foil at after you smoke it or roast it or grill it when the internal temp is 140, then put it back on in the foil at around 300 dome till the internal is 190. add juice in the foil with the loin.

of course this only works for 'american' pork. not sure about a mexican pig :woohoo:
  • Beli
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i take mine off as close to 140 as i can. a thin loin will rise a bit but if you got a big hunk o meat, cover it with foil and let it rest 10 ° or more is not out of the question and i would shoot for the low side as 150+ is a bit too much for my tastes.. but i am a raw meat eater.
    be well
    bill
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    It will work with a Mexican pig -- so long as it speaks English with a Damn-Yankee-Gringo accent...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Full pork loin -- say 5 - 10 lb....

I stuff the loin, roll it, tie it, sear it and pull at 145F. It's good, but not so tender.

B- u - t ...

Pull it, double wrap it in HD Al foil, and on all sides with old towels, stick it in the cooler, filling up all extra space with towels... and let 'er rest for several hours [most I've done is 4 hours] --

The carry over temp will go to 150F-155F and it will steam in its own juices. When you serve, it's fork-cuttin' tender!

BTW -- since pork is dry, I use some par-fried bacon and stuff like apricots inside as part of the roulade. I also use some [not gobs] of bacon outside.

As for the fat on the loin -- I cut it all off, including the silver skin. Since I'm going to add some bacon and juices, I get rid-a this stuff -- hate the silver skin...

Good luck!

~ Broc
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    well I have seen a lot of things on the forum and what seems to work for me is a lean cut of meat does better with a hot cooker and fast times. Last night I did a tender loin on the standard grid @ 400 and pulled it at 165 (I thought I over did it but it was juicy tender and NO pink meat). Now the next time I do it I hope I get it right again. I admit I have made some good and some bad, but I do have more success with direct hot than indirect hot. good luck B)