Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tenderloin suggestions

RustyEgg
RustyEgg Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need your advice on cooking a full tenderloin; having family over for a Father's Day dinner. We picked a full tenderloin yesterday from Sam's Club but not sure how to prepare and cook.

Many Thanks in advance.
RustyEgg

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one way.

Beef, Tenderloin, Whole, Roasted Shallots, Bacon and Port, Ohio Boy in DC

Best recipe I ever found...thanks to epicurious...I've been preparing this for 4 years now, will do it on the egg for the first time this year.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 each 3 to 3 1/4 lb beef tenderloins (large ends), trimmed
    1 1/2 lbs large shallots (about 24), halved lengthwise, peeled
    3 Tbs olive oil
    6 cups canned beef broth
    1 1/2 cups tawny Port
    1 Tbs tomato paste
    2 tsp dried thyme
    7 bacon slices, chopped
    6 Tbs (3/4 stick) butter
    1 1/2 Tbs all purpose flour
    1 large bunch watercress

Procedure
    1 Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375F. In 9-inch-diameter pie pan, toss shallots with oil to coat.
    2 Season with salt and pepper. Roast until shallots are deep brown and very tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
    3 Boil broth and Port in large saucepan until reduced to 3 3/4 cups, about 30 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste.
    4 (Shallots and broth mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.)
    5 Pat beef dry; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. In large roasting pan set over medium heat, saute bacon until golden, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Add beef to pan; brown on all sides over medium-high heat, about 7 minutes. Transfer pan to oven; roast beef until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 125F for medium-rare, about 45 minutes.
    6 Transfer beef to platter. Tent loosely with foil.
    7 Spoon fat off top of pan drippings in roasting pan. Place roasting pan over high heat. Add broth mixture and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Transfer to medium saucepan; bring to simmer. Mix 3 tablespoons butter and flour in small bowl to form smooth paste; whisk into broth mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Whisk in 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in roasted shallots and reserved bacon. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Cut beef into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spoon some sauce over. Garnish with watercress. Pass remaining sauce.

Servings: 12

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Ohio Boy in DC

Source: BGE Forum, Ohio Boy in DC, 2003/12/23

I modify it sometimes by using wild mushrooms, or wine for the port, or anything else I want to throw in for the gravy. This is a great base.

Pour a full-bodied red wine, such as a Bordeaux, Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    if cooking whole make sure to fold the 'tail' over and tie it so the meat is the same diameter end to end other wise the tail will be over cooked and tenderlion is not fatty and over cooked = dry and tough.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    That recipe sounds great, but may be a bit complicated at the last minute. Nothing wrong with cutting that bad boy into serious steaks, wrapping with bacon (or not) and grilling to your hearts content.

Can also do the whole thing (tail tied as described in the other post) and season with S&P and a rub of garlic. Can add fresh herbs too -- especially rosemary.

Good luck.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I would cut them into steaks and then put a serious sear on them. A high heat short cook will allow you to get a nice cooked texture on the outside yet having a medium or rare on the inside. Tenderloin is one of the rare meat types that is actually better when cooked to rare. I am sure many would disagree yet I like most steaks med well and will prefer a fillet at medium rare. When cooking individual steaks you also have the ability to cook to individuals request.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    1'st one for me to and I'm going back and forth between sear and not.
    Think I'm gonna sear then rest and bring the egg down to 350 and finish direct to 125. Hope it works out for both of us. Good luck which ever way you go. This is the one I'm trying tonight.

http://houseoffaulkner.com/beeftenderloin2.html