Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Temp

run4jc
run4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seen this same question asked other ways...gotta ask anyway. Bought the egg last Saturday - practiced on tuna steaks, pork loin, chicken breasts, smoked sausage - even baked potatoes.
Been reading through this great forum prepping for my first 'butts.' Put three on yesterday at 4 (took photos all along the way that I'll post later today) - tweaked the egg til the temp was holding 240 (couldn't get it lower without a newbies fear of snuffing the fire.) All was going great - took my last look at the temp at 10 last night. The largest butt was up to 165 and the fire was holding steady at 240 with an aroma that would turn a vegetarian into a serious meat eater!

So - this morning - 6 AM - jumped up and ran down to look. Temp in the egg at 200 - smoke still lazily wafting out - but the butt was down ot 145!!! Checked one of the smaller butts and it was at 170! I stoked up the fire and it is up to 260 now at the dome - should I worry? The meat looks great and is juicy and looks done - should I just pull it off the grill and wrap it and put it in the cooler or should I try to run the temp up to 190?

I'm gonna go run enough to burn off the gorging that's gonna happen later today - hope someone can help out while I'm gone! Thanks!

Comments

• I hope one of the highly educated eggers will respond to you. Me personally, I'd be the slightest bit worried about the danger zone given the length of your cook. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Hey guy when it was at 200 degrees that whould have been fine. Try to drop it back down. The internal temp you want to get at 196 and all of them most likely reach at different times. After you reach that temp. Pull the butts and wrap them in foil and then wrap them in bath towel and put in a cooler for a few hours. When you go to pull it, the pork well fall apart. Good Luck
  • run4jc
    Thanks Mike. 2 of them were pulled 20 minutes ago at a temp of 195 each. They are wrapped in hd foil, a towel and sitting in a cooler waiting on big brother to finish. It's up to 180 now. Darn thing is so juicy I have to believe it hit the magic collagen temp in the night and just backed off when the dome temp got down a bit.
    I'm amazed at this thing - one good load of lump and 16 hours later it can still produce major heat. Best grill I've ever seen - all my Weber buddies are 'green' with envy.....
    :laugh:
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Glade it's working out for you Run4. I hope you enjoy it. Have a great day.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Internal temps aren't necessarily your worry, like PBM said. As long as your dome temp was 200 you are safe in my non-professional opinion.

I think they are fine, and I think 250 is a better target dome temp, easier to maintain in most instances.

Take your temps to at least 195. Make sure the blade bone is about to pop out and wiggles freely - that is a good indicator they are done.
  • run4jc
    Thanks for the 'bone' comment - that confirms - the bones had 'emerged' and wiggled easily. I think next time I'm not going to stress over the 225 goal - just let it run up to 260 (where it really seemed to want to stay) and leave it alone. I 'fiddled' too much last night.

Now - it's time to go pull.....

:)