Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plateau of 155?

Options
CT Grillguy
CT Grillguy Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seems a bit cool for plateau, but that's where my butts have decided to do it. Is this ok? Grid temp is around 225.

Comments

• jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    This is where my last cook settled for five hours. The transition from collagen to gelatin is long and painful. It will occur on its time, not yours...
    Good luck, and grab a beverage while you wait it out!
  • RNLV
    RNLV Posts: 42
    Options
    It's a bit cool, I have the same thing happen, it
    just takes it's own time. Each is one different.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Butts can plateau at that temp, especially when you cook at such a low temp. I cook mine at 260F, because as I was often told here, "you can't expect it to get to 200F when you cook at 225." There is no difference in taste. BobbyQ(Grandchampion and all around great guy)cooks his at 275F. He wins, he knows! HTH.
  • CT Grillguy
    Options
    Well, my dome read between 275 and 300 most of the cook, so I'd guess my grid was more like 250 or higher. They broke the plateau in a couple hours and took 9 total to get to 199. It's a bit early for me to pack em up, so they're in a 200 degree oven waiting for 8 to roll around.

Hope everyone's cooks went well!

Happy Father's Day.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I have 18 pounds worth on and they plt last night @ about 159 for about 6 hours
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the plateau isn't really a flat-line at a particular temp.

it is really a very slow rise from around 160/165 thru say 175/180

whiz had a graph once that showed it.

i notice it slows around 150-155 and seems to take forever to get thru the 160s/170s. that for me is the "plateau" that i have seen. it doesn't really stay pegged at, say 175, for four hours.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • grok
    grok Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks you guys, and stike, this is exactly what I'm seeing and the question that I had. I thought it may have been because my brisket came from a grassfed cow, but maybe not :) This is a 5lb'er; from hours 2.5-4, it was at 154 on the Maverick ET-732, and it just now moved to 156 and has been there for about 10 minutes.

btw... interesting, seems like Mavericks thermometers don't use very high precision A/D converters. Must be like 8-bit, which is kind of disappointing for $70, when you can get plenty of 16-20bit A/D's on $5 microcontrollers. I know Freescale has many. Upper temp possible on the ET-732 is around 575 in the user interface, lower limit is around 50 I think, so that subtracted, then divided by 256 is like 2 degrees per division. It will often sit at a temp for minutes, then go up by 2 and sit there for minutes.. Sometimes it goes up by 1 though, so I may have the limits off, but obviously low precision. These are supposed to be higher-temp probes than those of the ET-73 model. I'm just blabbing but in the end it probably doesn't matter that much. Still.. gotta wonder about the decisions that some companies make. Cheap microcontrollers with 20-bit a/d or more, built in lcd controllers, usb, ethernet, even wifi, bluetooth, or Zigby, have been around for years!