Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

charcoal

Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where can I get this lump charcoal in Canada ? ( Barrie , Onatrio )
I don't recall ever seeing any charcoals but regular old bbq briquettes.
Will it really make a difference?

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Dave,[p]I've never tried to use briquettes in my BGE, always lump. There are a number of threads in the archives that have the UPC or SKU numbers for some stores that carry lump. I think True Value is one and cant think of the other one right now. I would highly recommend lump in the BGE.[p]The lump is a more pure form of charcoal, pure carbon. The briquettes are actually made from the dust and ash leftover from the lump making process. This ash is held together with a petroleum based (parafin I think) binder to make the briquette. Kind of like regular gas vs. the higher octane gas. Just a more pure product.[p]This gets to the second point. With the way that the BGE concentrates smoke, with the addition of the binder, the briquettes may give an off flavor to the foods being cooked. No experience here, just regurgitating what I've read here and other places.[p]Thirdly, the lump charcoal is able to reach much higher temperatures. It's not uncommon to sear steaks and such on the BGE at 900-1000 degrees. With the briquettes, temps will peak out at 600 or so.[p]Finally, the lump will give you the ability to hold a low and slow fire for a lot longer period. The lump burns cleaner and lower, thus allowing low and slow cooks of up to 24 hours (I've gotten as long as 15 in my medium, then had to reload with another batch of lump). Briquettes require a lot more air to burn, thus causing a hotter fire and burning up the fuel that much faster.[p]Well, thats about it. Heck, don't worry about looking at those other threads now, I think I've about covered it all. My fingers hurt now. Just kidding, hope this helps, the other threads will have the information on the UPC numbers etc.[p]Troy
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    sprinter,[p]Well stated sir. I can only add two points. Briquettes generate a lot more ash than lump and the use of briquettes requires you to "burn off" the pyrogenic additive (usually boron) on the surface of the brick used to help ingnite it prior to actually cooking over it. This is what causes the strong odor when first lighting briquettes. Lime is also added to the coating to provide the "whiting over" of the briquette to indicate when then ignitor is exhausted.[p]Dave, Unfortunately I am unable to provide a source for lump in your area. Here in South Jersey, lump becomes scarce as the BBQ season ends. That is when I stock up for the winter EGG cooking season.[p]Spin[p][p]

• sprinter
    Spin,[p]Thanks spin, good points. I like that "winter EGG cooking season". I would have never thought about cooking in the depths of winter until I got the BGE, now I look forward to getting out in the cold, firing up the egg, and putting on a chunk o chest or Butt. Man, nothing better than the looks you get tending that egg with the snow falling and the smoke rising out of the chimney of the egg. People definitely think you're nuts, then they taste the Q.[p]Troy
  • Spin
    sprinter,[p]Your EGG is a four season cooker. If you are willing to brave the elements, it is very able to do the cook. Egged pizza when it is 20 degrees is quite a treat (and maybe more apreciated).[p]I drive my neighbor wild. He comments about the smells when he is shovelig snow :).[p]Spin
  • dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Dave,
    Tanker Tim uses this stuff and he has it shipped to England. They will ship UPS for sure. They have a terrific product, too.
    dan

[ul][li]Get yer lumps here[/ul]
  • Dave,
    Yes - Canada even makes its own charcoal! Appears to be some good stuff to try - I just can’t get any. Good luck to you in finding the source or CDN distributor.
    I have relatives in Barrie and have just returned from 14 months in the big TO (actually Mississauga).
    Cheers
    d-squared

[ul][li]The good Stuff[/ul]
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Dave,[p]Greetings from a fellow Canadian bbq and Egghead! I have been using the actual Big Green Egg lump charcoal, which I have been purchasing from our local distributor. When I went for more last week they were out, but they called me today to say a new batch was in. In the pinch I've found lump at Canadian Tire, but I find it doesn't burn as clean as the BGE brand for some reason. If interested, contact me offline and I can get you the name of our distributor. In fact, if you want I could probably get some of the 'real stuff' to you, or close to you, as I work for a moving company that runs freight down to our Brampton office all the time. Hope this helps.
  • Dave
    Spin,
    Wow ! Are you two selling the stuff ? Gee whiz , are you
    guys teachers ? I learned more about charcoal reading your
    follow ups than I ever knew before . Thanks a million . Your
    prompt replies are very much appreciated . Now I can begin my search for the good stuff earlier than I thought . To tell you the truth , I have been smoking in a home made version similar to a tee-pee . That's right , a tee-pee . It was about four feet tall , five small poles with a light canvass wall with a small bbq grill near the top . Then , my good friend from my church sees it and says "Do you want a real smoker ? " and gives it to me . He had no use for it. According to the BGE web page, I have (now) an old medium ( I think ) .And am looking forward to using it !!!!
    Dave.

• Dave
    dan_c,
    Thanks for your reply.

• Dave
    d-squared,
    Thanks for your reply. I will let you know when I find some
    and where I got it.

• Dave
    BBQfan1,
    Thanks for your reply . I work in Brampton . (Airport & 407) so that sounds like a good idea . And , I will check
    with Crappy Tire as well .

• sprinter
    Dave,[p]Not selling the thing, just happy users. No, eggstatic users, hehehe. They really are great cookers and you'' find a million and one uses for it. Great steaks, ribs to die for, pizza, bread, you name it, it can be cooked in it. Talk to Nature Boy about the squid he cooks on it, they tend to fall through the grill a bit if you're not careful but they sound great. Seriously, it IS an all season cooker and you'll love it. You really fell into a great deal when yours was given to you. Good luck and holler back here if you need any help at all. Great group of people that love their eggs and love to share their knowledge and experience. Welcome.[p]Troy
  • Spin
    Dave,[p]If your unit was made prior to the current ceramic models (1993 I think), limit your highest dome temp to 300F. The older units are not able to withstand much more than that.[p]I suggest that you give the good folks at BGE a call to verify the limits of your egg. I'm supposed to provide the number here, but don't have it :-{.[p]Spin

• Dave
    Spin,
    I was thinking I would like to have a thermometer on my egg because there isn't one there now. And the cap on top of the chimney is one piece, solid green , no vent holes, .
    Does that indicate to you an approx. age ? Still , it is removable . To me , it looks to be in very good shape. No cracks or chips, still very green, lid hinges still strong , fire box looks good......Hey , this thing was built to last. !
    Later .

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Dave,
    I had a 1990 BGE that was red,it looked like my new eggs except the finish was dull instead of having a shinny glaze.The book that came with the red egg said keep the temperature at 375 degrees or below.Hope this helps.
    YB

• Spin
    Dave,[p]The cap you describe is the standard closing cap, used to shutdown and store the egg. Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with the geneology of the Eggs to answer you with any certainty. I would still give BGE a quick call to make sure. I'll hunt down the 800 number and post it for you.[p]Spin

• Dave
    Spin,
    Spin ! I have found a dealer in Canada . Actually , he is only about a 40 minute drive from where I live. What a break !! No need for you to dig for an 800 number , but many thanks to you for your generous offer. Soon , you will be using MY recipes .