Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing the Adjustable Rig?

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I said above (or below, depending on how you read the forum) we're getting ready to buy a Large. I'm making a list of Eggcessories we'll want so we can, hopefully, get a good price on the whole package. Based on the flexibility provided by the GrateMates for our Small I'm probably going with an Adjustable Rig rather than a Plate Setter, but it's a big piece of hardware to store. Is it practical to keep the Rig permanently in the Egg?

Comments

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    I have a rig that I just keep on the grill in the egg when I am not using it.

When I want to fire up, the rig just sits on the side unless I want to use da ting.

I.E. not a problem, mon

Cajun
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    Thanks! That's good to know. This morning I see that the Rig is backordered with an expected availability of August 1. Oh well...
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Ok so which rig gives the most flexibilty on the small???? The fire brick thing works but they take up too much cooking space.
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    I can't comment on the alternatives because I haven't used them, but the GrateMates have worked very well for me. The GrateMates ring sits on the fire ring to support a heat deflector or drip pan. The low grate extenders bring the grate up to the level of the gasket. The tall extenders raise it another couple of inches. They sit on top of the fire box and are held in place by the fire ring. They only block a couple of square inches of the grate at the three points they support it.

One arrangement I use frequently starts with the tall extenders in place and the cast iron grate down on the fire ring. I sear the steaks on both sides on the cast iron grate, remove the steaks, almost close the draft door, put the cold porcelain grate on the GrateMate extenders leaving the cast iron grate in place, put the steaks on the high grate, close the lid and let them finish cooking for 5 or 6 minutes.

Another good arrangement is an 8.5" stainless pot lid down on the ring as a heat deflector and the BGE 12" pizza stone up in the dome on the tall extenders.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Kim,

I'm using the Woo2, which was released after I picked up the plate setter for the SBGE. I really like the raised grid cooking option, and if I didn't have the plate setter, I would use the Woo2 for indirect by putting something across the two bars (fire bricks, pizza stone, etc.) to use as the baffle.