Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New member of the Egg-nation

surf_ox
surf_ox Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my egg assembled....

9 lb butt rubbed down in the fridge

going to follow the recipie in the manual.....unless there is a better way

cant wait....

prob wont sleep a wink tonight....like a kid at christmas

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you know how to set up indirect?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Welcome aboard!

You have some cahuna's to do an overnighter on your first cook.

Regarding Butts: I just rub them with salt/pepper/paprika/sugar and cook at 250 for 12hours. 195 internal temp.

Ron
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    welcome to the cult.
    Check this link for two methods:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#pork
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Wow..A butt with the first cook.!?

And here I thought my first cook of baby backs was a bit risky.

Methods are fairly consistent:
    Fill the firebox to the top
    Get the egg rolling around 230 - 240
    Setup your indirect cook (Platesetter is my choice)
    Drip pan
    Butt on the indirect setup
    Temperature gauge NO higher than 250
    Check back in 18 - 20 hours and see how your doing

You want to butt to get to (at min.) an internal temperature of 190+. Preferably 200 (if you can hold out that long).

Good luck on your first cook, should be a memorable one :whistle:
  • You are catching the fever my friend. You can't go wrong with a Boston Butt...After using a regular temp gauge to check internal temp. I was "born again" when I started using the "therma pen" You are also smart doing a low temp cook first...Have a ball and if any issues arrise, there are many here that are experts that will show you the way ! Make sure you share pix of your first cook ! Good luck ! ;)
  • Tuck
    Tuck Posts: 54
    I read today someone thought the black stuff on the butt was burnt pork and threw it away. BBQ'ers call it the bark. To me, thats the best part.

Hopefully you have a remote thermometer. It makes egging butts real easy, cause you don't have to open the lid. If you are using a remote thermometer, be sure to wrap tin foil around the wire coming out of the probe. It'll help protect the wire.

And don't get too frustrated when your butt's temp is around 160-170. Your butt will be hitting "the plateau" around then and the temp won't seem to move at all. Just be patient and the temp will start climbing again.

When you pull it off the egg, wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler and then surround it in old towels or blankets for about an hour or two. It will continue to cook in the cooler.

You might want to look up finishing sauces to use on the pork while you are pulling it. They help bring out the flavor. Some people swear by it and I have had good results since trying it out.
  • Welcome aboard,

Boston butt was my first cook and I have done many since. They all have been great cooks. I use mustard on the meat to help hold seasonings on. My biggest problem on my first cook was to close the lid and leave it closed until my thermo pen said 195. Good luck and hope you enjoy it as much as we all do. See Ya[/b][/b][/b][/i]
  • surf_ox
    surf_ox Posts: 19
    i have total faith in the egg......

set up for indirect

chips soaking

butt in the fridge

gonna fill the fire box

got a remote thermometer....

just gonna follow the directions and let'er rip
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Welcome to the world of eggs. I got my egg in April and I am very impressed although I have yet to try a butt. Tuck has made a useful suggestion about the remote themometer ... it probably explains why my remote thermometer seemed to go on the fritz after its second use. I will certainly wrap the wire for the new one when I use it next.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    I'm a newbie too and ruined my remote thermometer after the first use. :( I'm so glad I found out about using foil.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    like your new name it is alot better than the last two ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Welcome! Don't forget that we like to see pics too!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I Wouldn't soak the chips/chunks. Layer them thru the lump.
    Good luck,, Butts are great.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Welcome,

Butt as the first attempt. Go for it. Ya may want to let the egg sit for a while at your desired temp. The new ones do like to get hot.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Congratulations, and welcome to the EggNation!
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Welcome and good luck. Set the egg for 250 and let that butt go until it is 195*. Pull it and let it rest in foil and a cooler for about 2 hours. You won't want to eat BBQ out again.

Remember, the temp of the butt will hold at the 160-170 range for a longer time. This is during the time when the fat is rendering out internally.