Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need some advise please

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My felt seals are gone. I mowed the yard last night,then fired up the BGE for that big steak,then went and took a shower to get all the grass off of me. By the time I got back out to the BGE the temp and pegged out all the way past 750, was just about 8 to 10 min. I opened the lid and the top seal was stuck to part of the bottom seal and it just pulled away. So in a mad daze I thought I,m not going to waste this good piece of meat, so I cooked the damn thing anyway and it turned out just like I wanted with no seals. Has anyone had this happen to then and is this covered under warrenty???

Comments

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    smokeapig,
    This has happened to a lot of people - myself included. I was able to salvage my gasket by sticking it back on. I have been cooking with the same felt for over three years after is initally came off. I have a theory that the felt has a tendency to come off during an extremely high temperature cook when the gaskets are fairly new and have not had a chance to fully set in place. After I stuck my old felt back on (no extra adhesive required) I have not had a problem since. I bought a set of felt from my BGE dealer but have not used it yet.

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    smokeapig,
    You know its funny you mention it. I did the same thing over the weekend. I did a brisket saturday, ribs sat nite,chicken monday then cranked it up int the white past the 750 mark for 15 min as I read for instruction for doing a self cleaning. After 15 I closed both vents and just let it cool down. tuesday afternoon I went to check the egg out. and Low and behold It was stuck shut. I thought to myself "self didnt you read this in a post somewhere?". So I stuck my foot through the lower vent hole and lifted with a slow tug (insert bionic strength sound here). (insert suction sound here)It lifted open (insert Angels Hallelujah singing here)and everyuthing was still in place. But after further inspection I noticed how thin and harder the gaskets were. So I then Fired it back up but a bunch of wood chips in to look for leaks. Not a single one. It even holding smoke better than when I got it. SO I guess this is how you are supposed to breakin an Egg :)

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    haywyre,
    Funny story. Keep it up.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    smokeapig,
    I doubt that the gasket is covered by warrantee. I glued mine together on my first cook with a godamighty flashback that basically melted the gasket enough to make it stick. My dealer and distributor gave me a new gasket for free, though, because it happened to him the first time he cooked and he understood. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz