Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Place setter for pizza? help, we're hungry!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We bought our "barely used" BGE last week. Since then we've or rather my husband has cooked on it almost every day, veggies, burgers, steak and chicken. He has yet to burn anything and everything has tasted wonderful. WOW he hasn't cooked this much in 17 1/2 years! Anyway now we need advice on pizza. I'm longing for a thin, slightly crackling crust with a slight beerish flavor. Any advice appreciated. After reading most of the pizza postings i'm wondering if we need that plate setter you all keep mentioning. He brought home a pizza peel yesterday and we had a stone already.
thanks everyone, jane

Comments

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    planejane,[p]I'm not a pizza expert (Hey Spin! Jump in here), but I don't think the plate setter is absolutely necessary. It IS nice to have though and I'd recommend getting one anyway. However, I do think you'll need at least a layer of fire bricks to place under the pizza stone to help defuse the heat a bit.[p]We like thick crust pizzas. To help with a thin crackly crust like you're wanting I think I'd head for the nearest restaurant supply store (check your Yellow Pages) and get yourself one of those pans the pizza places use. I forget what they're "offically" called, but they're metal and I believe have holes in them to let the air circulate around the pizza crust better.[p]As I said earlier, get a plate setter. They're wonderful and I use mine about 75% of the cooks I do.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    planejane,
    While it's not "required" it makes pizza life much easier. Besides adding another layer of ceramic between the fire and the pizza stone, it raises the level of the stone to the height of the egg, making it easier to put on and take off. Otherwise, you'll be trying to slide the pie down to the stone resting on the grid and then trying to get it off the stone. Last I checked, that peel isn't going to bend easily.
    Plus, you'll use the plate setter for more than pizza.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    planejane,
    A plate setter or firebrick is almost mandatory. You need to raise the pizza stone up to the level of the opening so that you can slide the pizza in and out. I'm not sure you need the ceramic mass, but it doesn't hurt any to have it. The great thing about it all is that you will need to experiment and eat all the results! See my post below for more information about pizza temperatures....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    planejane,
    We made six pizza last night and they were almost as good as those we have had in Italy!!! And yes, I agree with TNW, go ahead and spring for the plate setter. We use it with a pizza stone and just slide the pizzas off the peel (dusted with cornmeal) onto the stone. We have had good luck with think-crust pizza at 550 degrees. I use a recipe of bread flour, salt, olive oil, yeast, sugar, and water; however, was reading through Julia Child's "The Way To Cook" the other day and used milk instead of water and it made the crust really good. We like ours really thin-crust and I use a rolling pin combined with stretching and pulling. The people on this forum gave invaluable information. I have never tried anything except homemade pizza dough and our toppings are garlic and olive oil, fresh or canned tomatoes, mozzarello, and a sprinkling of parmesan. Oh, we cook them around 8 mninutes, the later ones taking not quite that long. I did make a "white" one for the granddaughters, omitting the tomatoes and adding grated mozzarello along with the fresh, squishy kind.

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    planejane,
    While I agree that a plate setter isn't absolutely essential for a good pizza, it does make sliding the pizza onto and off of the stone much easier since it raises the stone to the level of dome lip. Additionally, it adds ceramic mass to reduce crust burnage. It's a great product and is very versatile.[p]

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    piz8.JPG
    <p />planejane,
    Here is a great crust recipe for you!
    If you want that slight beerish flavor, this really works.[p]1 cup flat beer
    2 Tbsp butter
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1 packet active dry yeast[p]Dissolve yeast in warm beer (110F).
    Add butter, salt, sugar, and flour. Mix until dough
    forms a ball. Turn onto floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
    Place in an oiled bowl, turning to grease top.
    Cover, let rise to double in size. Punch down dough.
    Allow dough to relax for a few minutes before rolling out.[p]Definitely get the plate setter, and a pizza stone is a must.
    You may get some other ideas from my pizza page- link below
    JodyMo[p]

[ul][li]Jody's Pizza Page[/ul]