Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burned outside on a pork Butt question

Hangfire77
Hangfire77 Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys got a quick question.

I smoked a pork butt last week and have a question about it. It was a 12 hour smoke 225 degrees and I had the interior temp of the meat at 210 degrees when I pulled it off. The meat was very good but the problem I had is this. The outside was as black as sin and about a 1/16th of an inch thick. I pulled the meat and cut the black (burned?) part off. So what did I do wrong? I did not foil it because I wanted the hickory smoke to get to it. But now I think I should foil it later on in the cook. But not sure when I should and even if I should.

Any help or advice would be great.

James

Comments

• azegger
    azegger Posts: 22
    i think you only get the smoked flavor from the first few hours of the cook so foiling the meat would not affect the flavor......
  • How much sugar was in your rub?

Did you taste the bark? Did it taste burnt, or was it just black and looked burnt?
  • Guest egger wrote:
    How much sugar was in your rub?

Did you taste the bark? Did it taste burnt, or was it just black and looked burnt?

If it didn't taste burnt, you threw out some of the best. It's called "Bark" and it's a real treat.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    might want to re-calibrate your dome thermometer too. 210 internal after 12 hours at 225 doesn't seem quite right to me, unless it was a rather small butt.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hangfire77
    There was not any sugar in the rub. I used a dry pork rub by emeril. That’s all I had on it. The black "skin” was a cross between burn taste and not. Hard to describe. So I guess I can cover it after two hours and be ok?
  • Hangfire77
    Butt was 6 pounds or so.
  • Keith W
    Keith W Posts: 61
    Did you cook it indirect?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Even at that it's a tad fast. I calculate 2.5 hr per pound and pull of the egg at 200°. At 210 you were drying it out especially if it had a hard black shell. Also smear French's yellow mustard after the rub on the next butt - bet you'll love the bark then!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Actually, you get smoke flavor added to the meat as long as there is smoke in the cooker. There is a lot of confusion about the smoke ring (which only forms and develops while the meat is below 140) and the smoke flavor which will accumulate throughout the entire cook if you have smoke coming from the fire.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    It sounds like you threw away the bark. You can just chop that up and mix it with the pulled meat. If it didn't totally taste like burnt meat, I'd say it was normal.
    The Naked Whiz
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I'll give you my address for the next time you burn the outside, Have a pot of beans that are just screaming for bark.
  • Hangfire77
    yes i cooked it indirect. I read that the internal temp needed to be 200 degrees. I had a probe in it and pulled it at 210. Even though it was only at 12 hours. I will check the dome thermo to make sure its right. i will try it again and let you guys know how it comes out. thanks
  • I would re-calibrate my temp. I kept getting meat that was cooking faster than I thought it should. What I discovered was my dome temp probe was off by 50 degrees!!
  • I would re-calibrate my temp. I kept getting meat that was cooking faster than I thought it should. What I discovered was my dome temp probe was off by 50 degrees!!
  • Hangfire77
    BlueHorseShoe wrote:
    I would re-calibrate my temp. I kept getting meat that was cooking faster than I thought it should. What I discovered was my dome temp probe was off by 50 degrees!!

Yep thats what it was!! I am doing Baby Backs today and when i was prepping everything i back check it against my wifes pampered chef thermometer. I went from ice water to boiling to get the range. It was Off 60 Degrees! Dang no wonder my food is cooking so fast! LOL thanks for the help guys.