Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Authentic Montreal Smoked Meat Recipe?

Options
McPhreak
McPhreak Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a recipe for making "authentic" Montreal-style smoked meat sandwiches like you find in Schwartz's up in Montreal? I had my first experience with their sandwiches last year and can't stop thinking about them now that I own a BGE. :silly:

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This might get you started.

Rub, Montreal, Thirdeye

Salt, pepper and garlic are kind of the big three players in beef rubs. You could go with a milder peppercorns, like green ones. Maybe using salt, pepper & paprika instead of pepper. Or you might try Montreal steak rub variation with either less or no pepper. The other flavors are pretty good.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Tbs Coriander seeds
    3 Tbs Black peppercorns
    4 Tbs Dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
    2 Tbs Onion flakes
    2 Tbs Garlic flakes
    2 Tbs Sea salt
    1 Tbs Caraway seeds
    2 Tbs Dill seeds
    1 Tbs Dried thyme
    1 Tsp Dried lemon peel

Procedure:
    1 Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder.

Recipe Type
    Rub

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 2007/04/16
  • McPhreak
    Options
    Thanks for the rub recipe. I'm also wondering about the cook though. Is there something special about the way Montreal smoked meat is prepared and cooked, or is it just like any other smoked brisket with some Montreal seasoning on top?
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    I googled it and it's got me drooling...

The window of Schwartz's, a humble storefront cafe opened as a steak place in 1928 by Rumanian immigrant Reuben Schwartz, is filled smoked meat – piles of whole brick-red briskets packed with coarse, black spice. You'll likely have time to admire this meat, because the line waiting for a counter stool or chair at one of the communal tables in the 60-seat storefront nearly always stretches out the door. "Is your smoked meat corned beef or pastrami?" we asked our waiter.

"Neither. It is smoked meat," he answered, explaining that Montreal's way with brisket is to cure it a week or more, smoke it several hours, then store it in a steam box packed with spice a few hours more. The result is a pillow of beef striated with fat and fragile enough that it must be expertly hand-cut with a knife because an automatic slicer would disintegrate it. Schwartz's counter men assemble each sandwich with meat piled up so high that the bread perched precariously atop one half invariably tumbles off as you seize the other half to eat. Smoked meat retains the soft flavor of brisket; and its exact nature depends on how you order it. Schwartz's offers lean (but warns against that as too dry), medium and fatty. Medium is juicy; fatty is insanely succulent.

One thing that makes Schwartz's smoked meat sandwiches good is the bread. We have long stood on a soapbox complaining that even the best delis in New York have lowered their rye bread standards. The rye at Schwartz's is the old style with a leathery crust and muscular crumb (although, alas, seeded rye is not available). The thump of the automatic bread slicer cutting loaves sets the beat of a delicatessen melody, the libretto of which is never-ending chatter among exuberant customers.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Richard,

If you've never been to Schwarz's you have no idea. It's like "you want the fat or you want the lean" and you say " what's the difference?" and he goes "you want the fat or you want the lean or you want to get the f$#k outta here" It is an expeience that should be enjoyed by all. You can get the same kind of warm, freindly service at The King of Smoked Meat or Schwietzers Deli.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    We have a few seafood restaurants down here in Florida with the same great food and attitude. That is what makes them famous IMHO.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That is an excellent photo. Nice camera work.
  • McPhreak
    Options
    I wish I could take credit for it, but I in fact lifted it off of some site. Just wanted to show people what a Montreal smoked meat sandwich looked like. :blush: