Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making ribs for 12 men.....any sugestions?

Options
mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well i volunteered to make the guys some ribs for tomorow's supper! so i went and got 12 bb ribs. now what i was planning was cooking them today, and just reheat on the egg slowly tomorrow.
does this sound right or will i compromise the ribs?
i put 8 racks before on my large i think 12 might be a challenge,or thinking cooking 6 then put 6 right back on! cause at 6 i believe i can cook them flat instead of using rib rack....

Comments

• Brayon
    Brayon Posts: 24
    Options
    I did 12 on my large in the past. It was a struggle and uneven heat made the experience not so enjoyable as it typically is. I would do 6-6 if I were you and if you have the time for it. Let us know about the reheating result.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I'm wondering if you could keep the first batch on hold in a warm (150-160) oven while you cook the rest. Someone here should have a good answer.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think ribs reheat very well.
    I think your idea of 6-6 is great but I would plan on having them all complete and warm in large alum pan in the oven while you cook up some ABT's on the Egg.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mikeb6109
    Options
    these ribs are only going to be served for tomorrow's supper. so i have plenty of time to cook them today so i will do the 6 and 6 that way i can cook them flat,with grill extender.
    will post pics later!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think that's a great plan.
    Can't wait for photos.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mikeb6109
    Options
    well got the first 6 racks on!! with the digiQII set for 250 pit. i put lots of cherry , jack daniel chips and one big chunk of maple! should get a half decent smoke ring ... i hope!
    had a hard time getting the 3 racks on the grill extender but i managed it. they are a bit over laping but should be ok. i will take a pic in a hour or so.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I have done this several times.
    I start out doing the 3,1,1 method but there are changes. I start with about 5- 6 full racks. I set up a indirect cook, the racks on their edges and use a dome temp of 250, no less no more. I let them go for 3 hours, I then remove them to a 3-4 deep alum pan, I cut the full racks in half at this point. I cover the ribs lightly with the "sauce of the day" or what ever you will use at the end. Not too much as you don’t want to over do and steam the ribs. I then put the covered alum pans in the a Direct Egg setup and rotate top to bottom every 15 minutes to keep the ribs from burning, for an hour or so. I remove the covered pans and let them rest on the counter for about an hour. Next into the refrigerator they go till the day of grilling. On that day of grilling I set the house oven to 175 and just warm the ribs up for about an hour or less, just enough so the harden fat melts. Transport these to your final grilling spot. Now the ribs are ready for the final grilling and saucing. Just grill and sauce the ribs as needed. Like I said I have done this before and days ahead, the most I did were 18 racks over 3 days.