Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or L

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys. I am trying to decide between and extra large and large. My parents have a large and small. My family tends to entertain a bit more and I was thinking XL until I found out you couldn't cook a turkey in the XL vertically due to lack of space.

I thought I would start the debate here so I could get some experience to maybe aid me in my decision making.

Thanks ahead of time.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Pros and cons for both and this is brought up weekly. Most will agree that the large is the most versatile but the EXLG has more grid space. For the price of an EXL you can usually get a large and a small. I cook for neighbors often and rarely have to fire up both larges. Cant go wrong with either one but I'd get the large.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    You can cook a turkey vertically in the XL. Just put the platesetter between the firering and firebox.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    L!!!!!!!! & GET THE RISED GRID
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well i am thinking about my "next" egg and i am torn with the same delima.... i have been real happy with my large (love my small also).. and i am proabably leaning that way.. there are a couple reasons i am leaning towards getting another large.....

first is when you go to a eggfest they all seem to have large more than the xl

second is the height issue.. i have had several cooks where i was glad the large "went vertical"more quickley than the xl..

third is i already have a large (which does not help you... sorry) so most of what i already have will work for another large...

and last but not least i went to the kcbs bbq event in greenwood s.c. last year and was the "Washboy/ Box Runner" for celtic wolf. and he has a xl.. he told me and i quote him "you do not want to see a xl Flashback".. and i know he has seen more of the xl doing that than i have.. he may be a grouch but if you look past that he is a VERRY knowledgeable guy ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    LOL Pete is the most pleasant grouch I have met. :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle: .
    Just kidding A great guy and a world of knowledge.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks so much. It seems the case has been made for the large more than the XL. I like the idea of down the road getting an additional Large if I really needed it. Thanks for the feedback.
  • jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    I bought the XL right out of the gate. Before I knew about this forum. The consensus here continues to be "buy a small and and a large for the same price as an XL". I do not challenge that - but my next egg will likely be a large, rather than a small.

I do like the capacity of the XL - I have been able lay the pork ribs out flat without touching the base. :laugh:

Low and slow is exemplified by the XL, but I just did a high temp cook, and it performed well there as well.

So, I am happy with the XL in spite of it's design issues.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    Here is why I like the xl

You can cook 3 full rack of ribs or six vertically per layer. I do not have to worry about the pieces getting burned around the edge of the grill.
    I have really good luck with ribs, briskets, and boston butts.
    I really think it is that their are not that many XLs out their and most people have not developed the advantages of xl

egg42.jpgXLegg1111.jpg
  • jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    Mahi-Mahi wrote:
    Man! I am not sure what I like better - the probes or the capacity! What rig are you using there Mahi-Mahi?
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Options
    I am using the BBQ GURU PRO 4. It works really well and I used it because I wanted to monitor the chicken breasts and thighs at the same time.

Using the eggaccessories flip ring with a 18 inch drip pan.
    A friend said I have more tubes coming out of my xl than some people have in intensive care.
  • amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    My local dealer doesn't recommend using an XL with the Egg Nest because of its size and weight. That made my decision easier due to not having room for a table. Something to think about.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    SORRY bout your local dealer...I would eat his breakfast. lunch and supper...I sell the XL all the time w / the nest... I put them together and load them. I find the nest is very stable. I don't recomend that anyone PUSH any egg....they should ALWAYS be pulled. Ask your local what he owns and cooks on. I found out the other day one of our other locak dealers did not know jack poop obout eggin. Just said O it's a great smoker grill he knew nothing about cooking etc. etc. If you want an XL get one. I cook on a med. Just me and wife...It fills our need.
  • Happy Hog
    Happy Hog Posts: 67
    Options
    I have a small, a large and a extra large.
    If I could have only one it would be the XL
    No problem with the nest it is just as sturdy as the small or large nest
  • amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    The dealer cooks on Eggs and an XL Primo actually. They know these things inside and out and are one the best businesses I've ever dealt with with regards to customer service.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Options
    I have a XL mounted in a nest and it is not unstable. The XL is short and is not top heavy. I have pulled it around in a small area and had not problem. The center of gravity on the xl is probably lower than the large.
    We recently had a high wind and it moved my boat lift but the egg never moved a inch.
    [url]egg44.jpg[/url]
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Who cooks a turkey vertical? No need to and all the juices come out.