Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow cooked lamb shoulder

Options
Marvin
Marvin Posts: 515
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dinner last night for 7 of us was two 6.5 lb lamb shoulders cooked for 11 hours at 250 over a drip pan in the large. Final internal temp was 193. The shoulders were rubbed with the following mixture and sat in the frig overnight before cooking: 2 Tblsps each of ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground cardamon, and ground cumin, plus 2 tsp of salt and fresh ground black pepper this a modification of an Omani rub from reichlen's book). Just before putting them on a raised grill, they were sprayed with olive oil. They were quickly resprayed at 3 and 8 hours. They were fall-off-the-bone tender; as easy to pull as the best pulled pork, but we served slices with cold couscous salad (laced with scallions, currants, pine nuts and lime juice). This was the best cook of the summer so far and half a shoulder was left over for later. Hope some of you try it.
Regards,
Marvin

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Marvin,
    I have never had lamb, what does it taste like????? Guess I will have to get a very small peice and try it.[p]Glad your cook was a great one.[p]New Bob

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Marvin,
    Had lamb like you describe in an obscure hilltown in Italy this past October and that is what inspired my husband to try and duplicate it at our own place. This is what led us to the Egg and in our opinion, there is no better way to cook lamb; your seasonings sound wonderful and lamb is still our very favorite thing to cook on it.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    New Bob,
    To give yourself a start with lamb flavors try a few loin lamb chops grilled hot and fast with salt and pepper only. If you like these there are many ways to cook lamb, and all of them are good. From the neck bones tot he shank, lamb, for us, is our favorite meat.