Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Primo Grill

Plan-O-Bob
Plan-O-Bob Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Why would I buy the Green Egg over the Primo? I am looking at the largest one each has to offer.

Thanks, POB 05-31

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Buy whatever you like, we'll still help you with whatever questions you may have. Welcome to ceramic cooking! -RP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i think he owns a primo. hahaha

he ain't gonna start no shizznit.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Say it ain't so ! :woohoo:
  • AZRP
    Just so you know until last week I owned 5 Eggs, no Primos, though I have nothing against them. -RP
  • AZRP
    I only have 4 now because I gave one to my SIL. -RP
  • stike
    it doan matter to me! maybe it's RRP... some dude with 'RP' in his handle owns a primo i think. i wouldn't think less of you if you did. i have ENOUGH reasons already to think less of you :P

same sh!t, different wrapper, right? ceramic is ceramic. except i lean to the BGE because, well, ford came before chevy and coke came before pepsi. the primo might be "as good", but they waited until BGE figured it out and then copied it. (yeah, i know, oval, divided fire box, etc... still the same damn thing without the time and expense to carve the path through the forest) hahaa

just pick one and start cooking
  • AZRP
    Dude, why are you preaching to me, I only own Eggs, I even gave away my WSM. -RP
  • AZRP
    To my way of thinking anybody who is interested in ceramic cooking and finds this forum which is friendly and helps everyone, is more likely to buy an Egg, because that's exactly what kept me from buying a Kamado when I decided to go ceramic. I spent time on everybody's boards and the most helpful was here. So I went with the Egg and have no regrets. -RP
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    If you are looking at them both I would check out this link...

wwww.nakedwhiz.com

Better yet what you need to do is look for an Egg-fest to go to or find some eggers close by to show you.

Hope this helps
  • stike
    yer wacky. i wasn't preaching to you. i acknowledged that i was wrong (i.e., it wasn't you that ownde the primo). then, i commiserated with you. you know... talkin shop about the egg.

you think that was preachin? ask me about leaving a roast in the freezer for a year and how it's still safe.....
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    ooops

www.nakedwhiz.com
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    well, as an owner of 2 eggs and 2 primos(and looking to buy a another competitor as a 5th ceramic), all I can say is that some like a cucumber pickled.
    ST
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    They are both ceramic, so that part is a wash. (Does the Primo still have a thinner wall than the BGE? I don’t know, so I’m asking.)
    They incorporate slightly different cooking styles.
    Your best option would be to spend some time in a couple stores, talking with knowledgeable dealers. Ask them to show you setups for direct and indirect cooks. If there is an EggFest in your area, drop in. Think about how you would be using the cooker, and then buy the one you are most comfortable with.
    You are on a BGE forum, which should tell you which way most people here tipped.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I always enjoy reading your posts. Quick, to the point, loaded with knowledge, and helpful. Thanks for posting
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    AZRP wrote:
    To my way of thinking anybody who is interested in ceramic cooking and finds this forum which is friendly and helps everyone, is more likely to buy an Egg, because that's exactly what kept me from buying a Kamado when I decided to go ceramic. I spent time on everybody's boards and the most helpful was here. So I went with the Egg and have no regrets. -RP

That is why I bought a BGE too. You are going to love whatever ceramic you get - I never met anyone that did not like his/hers, whatever it was.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Not me!!!!!!!! I own 4 BGEs. I "had" to cook on a P during my last class along with a BGE. That thing clearly cooks differntly than a BGE - and it wasn't anything I liked, so I do believe they are NOT equal. A shameless copy cat yes, but equal - NO!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Plan-O-Bob
    Plan-O-Bob Posts: 25
    that is the kind of info I am looking for...a direct, side by side comparison. Thanks,
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Wellll here goes again. First i'am a egg owner / seller so i'am partial to BGE. A. egg has a dual function metal top = dasie wheel...the p has a metal top with only a slider. B. the exterior metals is of a lesser quality vs. the p. The BGE has a fire box and a fire ring... the p only has a one piece fire box. THE watermelon thump test the BGE has a duller thump to me means thicker ceramic....the p has a tinner thump to me means not quite as thick. and maybe a few other things I forgot it's been about two mo. ago when I did the comparison shopping the P vs. the BGE. OH a small item I missed BGE ceramic warranty LIFETIME the P 10 years. The BGE pricer vs the p not as pricer. Are we green with envy??? No we are green because we are. Ceramic may be ceramic as I see it....But thicker ceramic is ....just thicker. I think eather one will provide you with good eats. Also the GUVMENT of south carolina sez. Lifetime warranty is seven years Miles sez BGE does not give a rats a** about s. c. law or their law makers. Miles out.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    I suppose we could start this thread all over again and fill in the blank with "Grill Dome". I've made my decision and I'm tickled with my BGE. Was intrigued by GD, but the main negative I ran up against was lack of dealers. Didn't want to buy sight unseen. Also, their web site sucks.