Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking center design

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
99% commited to BGE for new home. Designing an outdoor "cooking center" to incorporate the BGE. 1. Has anyone out there already built one of these? 2. If you have not, do you have any recommendations? 3. I plan to have a brick "center" similar in size to the large BGE table seen on BGE websites. 4. I plan to have natural gas to the center for a). burner/warmer and b). deep-fryer. 5. Biggest question is whether or not to completely enclose the BGE?; to enclose 3 sides (putting vents in 2 of the 3 sides)? Thank you, in advance, for your advise.
Bill

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Bill, you don't want to enclose the egg completely because you need to access the front vent. Although you really could create an opening to the front venty I think that would be more trouble than it is worth. The reason to place the egg inside an opening in the table is that it is much easier to build it that way and if moving the table around it keeps the egg in place. However, I doubt you are going to be carting the brick unit around. I would enclose it on three sides with the front open. It should give you plenty of support and the needed access. You can always rig up a way to add a piece of stell or wood to the front if you want to partially enclose the front. Hopefully you'll post pictures once you get it done

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    image-display?photo_id=621797&size=md
    <p />Bill,
    Here's a picture of my setup. Made it almost three years ago out of cedar. Haven't had a single problem with it, not even scorching under the Egg. Maybe you can get some ideas from it. E-mail me if you want additional photos. lmcmillin@houston.rr.com[p]Good luck with yours.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Unknown
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Outstanding...! Wish you would come to Georgia to build mine! You've answered my question. Although I planned to leave the front side open regardless, after seeing yours, I might put the same vented doors.
    What type material does your BGE sit on? Viewing this forum, I see some having problems with BGE balanced when opening the lid. I've also heard from one owner who had problems with the material below the BGE getting too hot and cracking.
    You have a great looking cooking center. When do you use the gas grill on the left? I was told I would never use gas grill again once I started with the BGE.
    Thanks again.
    Bill

• Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,
    Thanks for the great advise. If this thing turns out OK, I will put photos on for all to view. Estimated completion date is end of September.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    image-display?photo_id=878518&size=md
    <p />Bill Rial,
    Thanks. It did turn out pretty well considering I really did not have a particular design in mind when I started. It just sorta came together. [p]Sorry, I'm a long way from Georgia. Thanks for the invite. Truth is just about anyone can make one with a few simple tools, some wood and a few screws. Takes a good weekend to do it. The tile can be put on later. You mentioned a stone or brick cooking center if I recall. There is no reason why you can't tie in some of these ideas into your plan.[p]I used cedar 2 X 4's throughout (they were on sale for $1.00 each at Lowe's). I started with the dimensions from the BGE plans (figured they had been well tested by now) and I added some length to accommodate my gas grill. What you heard about the gas grill is true. It now holds my cobweb collection. I plan to add a second Egg and a frig when I build another table in a couple of years.[p]The doors are nothing but cedar 2 X 4's sliced down to slat size and glued into the cedar frame. Simple and works great. The towel rail was an afterthought. I had a couple of pieces of scrap 2 X 6 pine and a closet rod that was taking up space. Bingo!!! Took all of 20 minutes to add that.[p]The Egg sits on the three ceramic feet directly on the
    2 X 4 platform. Been up to the 800/900° range a few times with no evidence of wood scortching. That is probably due to the half-inch space between the boards that gives it good circulation. [p]I fashioned a piece of flashing to fit under the bottom vent to catch wayward embers. It doubles as a handy place to rake out the ashes from time to time. Took about 15 minutes to cut it out of a piece of flashing metal, fold the sides and back up to look like a dust pan and solder it it in place. Once again, cheap, simple and effective.[p]The back and ends are 6" cedar fence pickets. I cut some into strips to cover the laps. Works fine and is dirt cheap. Looks pretty good too.[p]Anyway, here is a photo of the inside that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.[p]Good luck[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Unknown
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    AWESOME...!!!
    and many thanks.
    Bill