Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catfish

Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Grillin some catfish in about 3 hrs. Does it make any difference which side down first? skin side or not?Thanks a lot. Plan to cook about 5 min per side (7 filets) marinating in butter, garlic.. will add lemon juice late and dust with Tony Chaceres.. How long should I marinade this fish? Have one of those fish grills(porcelain with holes in it). Any info sincerely appreciated.[p]Ray Price

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Babyray,
    I sure hope yours comes out better'n mine did last week. I cooked two filets directly on the grill with a little spray butter and seasoned pepper. Sprayed the grill with Pam but they still stuck. I had planned on about three minutes a side but it took longer than I expected. Five minutes would probably be better, and using a fish grill is a good idea. I was trying to get a nice broiled look and taste. Didn't happen. What I got was a piece of dead catfish that had battled with a hot grill and lost. Hey, I will try something else next time. The fun is in the learning. Sounds to me like you are on the right track. Keep us posted.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Spring Chicken...and Babyray[p]Catfish fillets are real tough to grill. I have a couple of things I do when I grill fish that seem to make a difference. Thick as possible fiets are best, but I have had good luck with 1/2 inch filets too. Forget it if they are thinner than that. [p]Hot grill (like 500), and some oil on the fish helps. Flip once before the halfway point ( you want to do your flip before the fish even THINKS about flaking). Like, if you plan on coking 5 minutes per side.....go 3-4 minutes on the first side, and 6-7 on the second. Also, instead of flipping a 10 inch by 5 inch filet, cut it into two 5x5 pieces. [p]Be deliberate with your flippage. After the first side is browned, jiggle the spatula under the filet, and using a second spatula (or your fingers), support the filet as you flip. The whole proceess should take 2 seconds. IMO don't think those porcelain fish grills help much. Even more of your fish is in contact with the surface with those things, and if it sticks you have a real mess....though you will be able to salvage the little pices that are left after it is destroyed![p]Just some idears. I love griling fish.
    Beers to you down in Spring!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Nature Boy,
    You are absolutely right about the thick ones being better for grilling. Save the thin ones for deep frying. Also, I didn't figure out the flipping technique until it was too late. But I'll know better next time. Your suggestion to put the oil on the fish instead of the grill is good too. I hate figuring things out that someone else has already figured out. Thanks to this Forum I don't make many missnakes.[p]Apprentice Egghead
    Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Spring Chicken,
    Ahhhh, we are all apprentices. That is what I love about this place. A couple hundred people sharing their experiences, and everybody learns!![p]Yeeeha! Hope your weather is as fine as ours is right now. Crisp, cool, and clear outside now. Gotta love it![p]Texas is on my list of 6 states I have yet to visit. I hope you don't mind if I look you up while I am down there.[p]Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Nature Boy, and Spring Chicken[p]Thanks to you all and others, my catfish grilling turned out great. Put a lot of pam on that fish grill and my times worked out well. Stayed at 350 for 8 min. before flipping. and then for about 9 more. They were a hit with the guests. Wife did great with couscous and a bok-choy salad that had small red potatoes in it, also some cheese biscuit, along with some pink, red, and white vino. You all have a great weekend. Faye and I hope to see you all at Eggtoberfest in Atlanta. Will be our first, Know it will be great fun and fellowship.[p]Ray[p]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]Think grilled catfish steaks . . .
    [/b]