Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Questions

Options
Moocowtex
Moocowtex Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My second stab at a brisket. A few questions after the first one. Many people use the brine soak? How long and does it work pretty well? Fat side up or down? I've been researching, and find arguements for both. Also, any recommendations for a mop recipe? All the info I've found here has helped me to egg some outstanding ribs and chicken. I'm hoping for the same with the beef brisket. I moved from Texas to Georgia 3 years ago and I'm jonesin' bad for brisket!!

Comments

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    I think Carwash Mike has the best brisket recipe/method.

Search for sugar coated brisket and it should pull it up or may CWM will jump in and give you some pointers.
  • Moocowtex
    Options
    Allright......I'm an idiot!! Just saw the "search forum" function. Found enough on brisket to keep me reading all day. Thanks for pointing me the right direction.
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    No problem...I am not a brisket guru.....I have to go search everytime that I cook one.

If you want a different kind of brisket, then try Chef Will's Cajun stuffed brisket. That is a great recipe too.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I've never brined one for barbecuing, but have for corning. And have smoked many a corned one, which is Pastrami.

There are quite a few marinade and injections out there, as well as a huge number of mop recipes. Below is a proven winner from Rick Salmon. It's called a marinade/mop, but I have only used it as a mop and reserved some for putting in the foil during the rest period. It has ingredients I like in a mop (and a few of the ingredients I like in injections too) The beef base I use is a paste used for soup stock and needs to be dissolved. I do warm all the liquids mentioned before adding the beef baste, then add the dry ingredients.

I don't recall ever reading the times when using this for a marinade.......if anyone knows, or Rick if you see this thread, please let me know.

Rick Salmon Sinful Brisket Marinade/Mop

12 oz. can of beer
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    ½ cup of water
    ½ cup Worcestershire sauce (I use Head Country Marinade)
    ¼ cup olive oil
    1 tablespoon beef base
    2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
    1 tablespoon seasoned salt or rub.
    1 tablespoon celery seed
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon MSG

Mix the ingredients and baste as necessary, or add when wrapping at about 165º.

courtesy of Rick Salmon

Rick uses this mainly as a mop for beef brisket and he will add 1/4 cup to the brisket when wrapping in foil.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Unknown
    Options
    You said you used to live in Texas. Ever heard of Goode Co. BBQ in Houston? In my opinion, the best brisket in town. He suggests trimming some of the hard fat off the brisket, cutting it into several 1 inch cubes, rolling those cubes in olive oil and brisket rub, and then inserting these cubes into little slivers you cut into the brisket. Just another option to try other than injecting.
  • Sgt Pepper
    Sgt Pepper Posts: 11
    Options
    I would strongly recommend Sweetwater Spice ancho & chipotle brine for briskets and their other products as well. Last weekend I brined a brisket & after the bath I rubbed it with Dizzy Dust and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours before putting it on my egg. It was by far the best brisket I've ever tasted bar none.

http://www.sweetwaterspice.com/catalog/
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    I've never brined one for barbecuing, but have for corning. And have smoked many a corned one, which is Pastrami.

[/i]

thirdeye,

I do not understand brining before corning. I use Julia Childs method of corning that is a salt plus various spices done dry. It takes a minimum of three weeks, but what comes out does not resemble in any way the pink stuff you can buy in the super market. The salt, of course, does the corning - the rest are for flavor and you can adjust as you see fit and/or to the spices you have on hand.

When the corning is done, it takes three soaks in water to get the excess salt out - much like an authentic country cured ham that is covered in salt and allowed to cure in the curing house that is w/o either temperature or humidity control for at least one year. Why brine, when the corning is intended to take excess water out of the brisket so that it will last longer w/o spoilage?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I should have said "I have never flavor brined one for barbecuing (which would have been from a few hours to overnight), but I have corned plenty of them, some for corned beef and some for smoking which is pastrami".

You must not add any pink salts or Tenderquick to your corning liquid (brine), the nitrates are what gives the meat the nice pink color. I have several recipes, some are short as in 3 to 5 days, and another takes 2 weeks. If you can find monster chuck roasts, like in the 6 pound range, try corning one of those.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Moocowtex
    Options
    O.K....Decided to skip the brine this time, but did try the overnight sugar rub. The colossal hunk of meat went on at 7 a.m., and now is sitting at 160 deg for the past hour and a half. Have been mopping every few hours Thanks for the ideas. Worst case scenario is me eating chopped beef sandwiches for the next week, then trying it again. Life could be worse. :)
  • 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Options
    Hey Moocowtex, welcome to GA! I moved here from OK almost 20 yrs ago. When you are cravin' some brisket and don't have the time to fix your own there is a little place in Liburn, GA (Spiced Right) that has darn good brisket. I have fixed two now on my BGE but I can't seem to get one as juicy and tender as theirs. Good luck with yours!