Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Cooking Question

Ala-Egg
Ala-Egg Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone, posted a question earlier this week and wanted to thank all the good advice. Been hearing from some to put foil on the butt after two hours into the cook. Is this a must, I was planning on letting it go unfoiled the whole time, am I wrong in doing this?
Thanks for any advice,

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Don't foil the butt until it is done. Then wrap it in foil and place in a cooler or wrap it in old towels for two hours or so before pulling the meat.
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Thanks for the advice, will do!!
  • Are you thinking of ribs. They are wraped. Using the 3-1-1 method I wrap them for about an hour after they have been on for three but never my butts except as Fidel said
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Good job for picking up on that.
  • I think I've read all the butt cooking methods on the web but missed Gandy Dancer's link; wish I had found that one earlier as I found a couple mistakes in my first cook...

I thought I would start easy with a 3.5 pound, boneless that I figured would take about 6-7 hours. Had the egg stabilized at about 220 when I put the butt on, indirect, plate setter, 1" of water in pan. I've been manually adjusting trying to keep it in the 220-230 degree dome temp (too low I see, preferred 250?). Had the fat cap up (oops).

Now at 6.5 hours my butt is at only 154 (Maverick remote thermometer). Just verified with another thermometer.

Maybe I'll have my wife pick up a pizza on the way home and have pulled pork for a midnight snack. Oh well...