Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mike In Abita. Take a look

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
at what's sitting right beside Rodney Dangerbird in The Chicken Coop.

AbitaBeerattheChickenRanch.jpg

Yep, they sell it at my local Target store. Last 6-pack too. Must be popular among all those n'orleans folks we took in, like with Community Coffee and Shrimp Poboys.

Never had it before so as soon as I get completely over the trots I'll give it a try. Surely it will go well with ABT's which I plan to make tomorrow.

Looks like your secret is out.

Spring "Some Beer Is Just Gooder'n Others" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Hey Spring Chicken,

We are glad to see our little brewery getting around. They really have a great product. The one you have is the Amber which is a little more stout. They make several different seasonal brews throughout the year such as Mardi Gras Bock, Strawberry Ale and a brew called Restoration Ale that they donated some of the proceeds to the recovery effort here.
    New Orleans is still 15 years behind in the recovery effort from Hurricane Katrina but we are making some progress. Thanks to all who welcomed our people in your hometowns. My family evacuated to Austin, Tx. and everyone from the local restaurants to the kennel that boarded our dogs (for FREE) were wonderful. I hope we can rebuild a better New Orleans and ya'll can come and visit a great city soon.
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    True true.......any local news on Dixie Brewing CO.
  • Big Easy Egg
    The original owners of the Brewery were in the local Times Picayune paper not long ago and have shown an interest in restarting the brewery on a small scale. Where the brewery is is about ten miles as the crow flys from the levee break in the Lakeview area and they had five feet of water in the brewery for three weeks. The amount of land that was covered by five to twelve or more feet of water is about equal to 40 Islands of Manhattan. Kind of puts it into perspective.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    I guess that means tomorrow on the early AM call you will be sleeping.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Chicken, Been bowed up with our own Dr. Test this week and laxed on the forum. All good with the MRI you were to have? Been remembering you! ;)
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Big Easy..good luck with all that..N.O. was one of my favorite cities..in fact I proposed to my wife in Pat O'brien's on Bourbon Street many years ago when we were stationed at Keesler in Biloxi..we used to party in N.O. all the time..great city!...btw..I used to travel quite abit down to the Lafayette, St. Martinville, Abbeville area...there was a beer back then called 'Blackened Voodoo' I think it was...used to always get some when in the area..you ever hear of it??..was a dark amber as I recall...but been many years ago... :unsure:
  • Spring Chicken
    The MRI came off without a hitch. Gotta wait to see if there's a hitch in the results though. Should know sometime next week.

Read where you and the Miss's had to drive over to LR. Heck, the drive itself will almost do you in. Glad you made it back with all parts intact.

I just came back from my first solid food in a week. Cafeteria. It was GOOOOOOD!

Now to see if I can sleep.

Spring "Day Is Done" Chicken
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    That isn't going to last long at The Coop Fest. :laugh:

Mike
  • Spring Chicken
    I'm not prone to sleep while on duty checking the plumbing. Seems my aim is a bit high.

Spring "How Come There's No High Midnight" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Mike in Abita should be able to smuggle some across the state line.

Spring "Sheriff Buford Justice In Hot Pursuit" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Dixie was one beer I just couldn't drink no matter how many of them I had.

Spring "I Knows My Limits" Chicken
  • Big Easy Egg
    Blackened VooDoo is a Dixie brewed Ale, I find all Dixie hard to go down now a days. From 18 yrs old to 22 yrs old college age we thought it was good, it was cheap but good it wasn't. It is being brewed by a brewery in St. Louis along with the original.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Glad you made it ok. Will keep you in prayers. Fixing wife a good solid meal her-self right now. Said "chicken broth" was highly over rated!! :laugh:
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Fantastic. Let me know how you like it, and next time I'm in Houston I'll smuggle you in a few straight from the source.

Amber is a pretty good brew.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Small world after all. Blackened Voodoo is back in circulation by non other than the Abita Brewing Company. They were contacted by the owners of Dixie and have agreed to brew a few of their products.