Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just wondering if

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anyone has smoked bologna before?? I,ve done it a few times, but not on the BGE. Going to try it tommorrow.

Comments

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    Yes I have. Found a recipe on the net somewhere (Didn't bookmark the URL)
    Take a chunk of bolbogna and core some holes in it. Save the cores. Break off a piece of a core and plug half the holes. Fill the holes with BBQ sauce and plug the other end with more pieces of plugs. I had to use some toothpicks to secure the plugs.
    Smoke for and hour or more, the slice into small pieces, serve with toothpicks.[p]My family made fun of this when I was doing the preperation, but when served it was all gone in about 10 minutes.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    smokeapig,[p]Try the link below! It is the one Basselope is referring to.[p]I have been smoking bologna at our local rib cook-off for the past several years. It continues to be the most popular item amongst the crowd.[p]Stogie
    [ul][li]Stogie's Smoked Bologna[/ul]
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Stogie,[p]That's why I spend time here. You just never know what you are gonna learn. Thanks for the link Stogie.[p]Mick

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    Yep Stogie, that was the link I had read. Now one thing I did different was that I did not sharpen a piece of PVC pipe. I went out and bought an apple corer and used that to punch tunnels in the bologna.[p]
  • Stogie
    Options
    Basselope,[p]That's a good idea. I'll be the first to admit that I went a little overboard with my set-up. [p]But it makes for one Hell of a show!! LOL[p]Stogie
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yo Stogie![p]What happens to the sauce? Or does it just ooze all over the place when you start cutting into it?[p]Are you going to Shannon or Michigan? Hopefully you will have some of this at one of these fine contests![p]See ya![p]
  • Stogie
    Options
    Scottie,[p]The sauce gets absorbed into the meat. Matter of fact, you can keep filling those cored-out holes with more sauce.[p]I will be in Michigan....but without the bologna! I will instead feed the hungry masses with the best Jamabalaya north of the bayou. Be sure to stop by![p]Stogie
  • Unknown
    Options
    Stogie,[p]I'll stop by!!!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Stogie,
    What temp. would we use to smoke the bologna in the egg and should we use wood chunks, if so, what kind, pecan,hickory?????
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Stogie
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I do mine at 225º grate but that is only because all my other meats are usuallly cooking at the same time.[p]Bologna is pretty forgiving..imagine that!...and I think about any temp would be OK.[p]As far as wood....I always follow this general rule of thumb........whatever is FREE![p]Stogie
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Stogie,
    Thanks, I picked up a 3+ lb. of boars head bologna today. At $5.99 a lb. I did not want to botch the cook.
    Cheers,
    New Bob[p]Does it matter if you serve it hot or cold?????? I would think either way would be fine.

• Stogie
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Now you know why I no longer give the stuff away!!! I can make ribs and pork butt much cheaper than bologna!![p]Stogie