Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? regarding beef tenderloin/filets

Suck Creek Wings
Suck Creek Wings Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a good sized tenderloin that I plan to cut into fillets. My idea was to cut them into fairly thick steaks, somewhere in the 3" range.

Looking for a medium rare finish, what's my ideal cook time/temp for something that thick? Will a standard T-Rex method get the job done or do I need to adjust it some?

Thanks.

SCW

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I did the same thing with a beef tenderloin last week. I kept one end of the loin for a tenderloin roast and cut 6 other pieces into 2" thick steaks. I cooked 2 of them the other night.

I wrapped them in bacon, rubbed lightly with EVOO and splashed on a little DP Raising the Steaks..

I Trexed them at 650 for 90 seconds per side...lowered the temp to 400 and rested the steaks...I cooked them for about 4 minutes per side..

perfect med rare...man were they good...
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Good question, but I would steer away from doing them at an ultra-hi heat level for any longer than it might take to sear the outside. That cut of meat can go from rare to vulcanized in a heart beat!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    SCW,

Tenderloin is awesome with the reverse sear or Xer-t. Cook them to 20* less than your desired over 350 then pull them open the vents and toss them on when the egg is hot for a sear. I find the temp only goes up a few degrees after the sear but gets higher in the rest.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    I don't think that you need to use the T-Rex method on fileits, but I guess it would work.

For steaks that size, I usually go high heat at 3 minutes per side and then "Dwell in the Shell" for another 3 minutes while I finish my beer.

Perfect every time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that thick, you want to warm the meat up before searing.

roast at 250 until the internal temp is say 115/120. then take them off and get the egg to sear temps. toss them back on and sear.

trying to sear until the middle is 'done' (as you like) will give you a big border of gray around the small perfect center. warming up beforehand will eliminate the overdone portion.

the hot-tub method does this too, in a way. they steak goes on already 100-110 in the middle, depending how hot your water is and how long you let it warm up.

Trex actually does the same thing, but i don't think you'll get the full effect on superthicvk chunks of meat, because it may not warm up much during the rest.

my money is on the reverse sear, followed by the hot-tub (not as elegant a solution if you have guests looking over your shoulder).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante