Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie here - love my Egg and new Outdoor Kitchen

Options
givehim6
givehim6 Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie here - been lurking around here for a couple weeks and I want to say thanks for all the terrific information I have learned about Egging. I look forward to learning more and hopefully sharing some of my experiences.

We have nearly finished a complete indoor kitchen exansion/renovation project that included the addition of an outdoor cooking area and patio. It was important to me that we create a covered area for ouddoor cooking that I could utilize in any weather. Since they had to reconfigure the roof anyway for the indoor kitchen expansion, who not simply add a few more feet to the screened-in porch and have a place for me to grill or slow cook protected from the weather. Once you start spending this kind of money what's a few more bucks anyway?? :S

The pic below shows the nearly finished product. The hood is a 60" Vent-A-Hood that moves 1,200 CFMs. It does a great job keeping the smoke off the ceiling and out of the adjacent screened-in porch. The light from the four 50 watt halogen bulbs is tremendous. It is amazing how well one can cook when they can actually see what they are cooking! :laugh:

I will continue to use my gas grill for burgers, dogs and such for large gatherings, but the Egg has now become my go-to cooker. After having the egg for exactly one week now I have done pizza, burgers, 6 racks of ribs, and a 9 lb beef brisket. All have been terrific (ok, I'll admit that the first batch of ribs were somewhat overcooked but the ones I did on Memorial day were the best I ever ate). I plan to do some Ahi Tuna steaks tonight.

Here is the nearly finished cooking area (still waiting for the completion of some trim work and paint). Since its completion a couple weeks ago my family (wife and 4 kids ages 2-15) has been outside in the back yard and on the porch/patio virtually every afternoon/evening. What a great addition, investment really, to our home and something we definitely will enjoy for years to come.

DSCN2927.jpg

DSCN2929.jpg

Comments

• Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Options
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sounds very nice.
    I think you may need to reduce your image size for us to be able to see the pic.
    Photobucket has some preset sizing increments, one especially for forums....480x640 I think it is.

Ron
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    That is one serious hood! -RP
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Hope you keep children and small animals away from that hood. :P
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Nice outdoor kitchen area. Years of enjoyment in front of you. That hood could suck start a 747 :laugh:
  • givehim6
    Options
    Thank you Leo - I finally got it figured out. My email address just changed (don't you hate that) and I couldn't log into my photobucket account to resize the picture. I created another photobucket account and it worked like a charm.

What I have learned about this hood may help somebody who is considering installing one, so here goes:

I got a great deal (1/2 the new price) on this hood because a builder had improperly installed it at another site and the homeowner wasn't happy with its performance. If you'll notice in the picture, the hood is furred out about 10 or so inches from the wall. This gets the front edge of the hood out well beyond the front of the grill. When you open a grill or the Egg smoke tends to rush out the front, so it is critical that the hood overhang well beyond the front edge of the cooking surface. This uninformed builder had installed it flush with the wall and the hood couldn't capture all the smoke when the grill was opened, so the furniture store took it back in exchange for something else and I ended up with it at half price.

Another important thing is to install it exactly as specified by the manufacturer with the correct size roof cap and vent pipe.

Tom
  • MS_STATE_Dawg
    Options
    awesome looking outdoor sanctuary for cooking!! I'm very jealous, except for the gasser... ;) Thanks for the pictures and goodluck! -and welcome!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Kinda gives a new meaning to living in the hood. :ohmy: :ohmy:
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    I agree with Poolman, you are living large in "Da Hood", wish I could have runa across a deal like that when we were building our home. They do suck a great deal of smoke. When we cook inside can harley tell we cooked, but since the purchase of the egg I don't even know if the stove works :laugh: :laugh:

It will look better once you get rid of the gasser and put that second egg under the hood. Then you can become "2 unda tha Hood". Just as easy to cook burgers and dogs in the EGG. :laugh:
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I love that back storage cabinet sitting next to the BGE. Do you use that for the racks and grids you aren't using or are you storing lump in there?
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • givehim6
    Options
    thebtls wrote:
    I love that back storage cabinet sitting next to the BGE. Do you use that for the racks and grids you aren't using or are you storing lump in there?

thebtls]

LOL - that is a childrens workbench that we bought for our son when he was smaller. It was already on the screened porch and I just drug it over there to use one day. I had no intention of keeping it there initially, but it really worked pretty well and it fits the space nicely so I left it. It has that undershelf that stores the placesetter, spare grids, lump and smoking chips. The holes in the top for screwdrivers and the pegboard also come in handy for storing useful things.

I have a nice piece of granite left over from our kitchen project. I intend to incorporate that into a grill table eventually.

Tom