Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country style pork ribs...a bit tough ?

StumpBaby
StumpBaby Posts: 320
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently bought the egg..and decided to try some country style pork ribs..slow cooking. They are individual ribs, bone in, about three quarters of an inch think, about 6 inches long. I cooked six, on a rack, over a drip pan, at about 225 degrees for 4.5 hours. They tasted alright, but came out a little bit tough. I expected them to be juicier, and almost falling off the bone, which they weren't. Any ideas ? Is it the cut ? the length of time ? the temperature ?

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    StumpBaby,[p]Country Ribs are the most difficult meat to explain how to cook. Here is why....[p]They are not a true rib. Technically, they should be cut from the blade end of the loin near the shoulder. This cut is very lean and is probably best done over high heat.[p]However, many butchers cut these ribs from the shoulder itself. These are very fatty and are best done over low heat.[p]So, before we can render any advice, it depends on where those ribs came from. How fatty did they look?[p]Stogie
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Stogie,[p]It seemed to be a mix. Most of them had a layer of fat around the outside, almost a quarter inch thick in some places, but the meat itself, inside this layer of fat, seemed pretty lean.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Stogie,[p]I had some really good ones a few weeks back that I did with the Dizzy Dust. These were the fattier types and I did 'em low and slow like pork spares. Delicious![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    StumpBaby,
    Yeah, those are from the loin end, and like Stogie says, they are better cooked like chops. "Country Ribs" are a very confusing name for butchers to use. I wish they wouldn't! The fatty butt ribs have fat and connective tissue running all through them. They look totally different except for the thick outside layer of fat.[p]Most of what we get around here are the fatty ones that they sell from the shoulder (butt), and are labelled "country ribs: from the pork butt". Which is even more confusing for some folks....cuz they aint a pig's butt. And they aint ribs.[p]Lately I have noticed that they have started labelling the ones you got as "country ribs loin end", and they charge more for those.[p]Hope it helps! I can see why they came out tough.
    Beers.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy, Do you ahve an item referred to as 'side ribs' in the U.S. ?
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    StumpBaby,[p]I like to use them for pork kebabs. I get the boneless ribs, cut them into cubes and marinade them overnight. Then I put them on skewers, and grill them for about 45 minutes-1 hour. They make excellent appetizers.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    08_13_0017_55_04_small.jpg
    <p />StumpBaby, I make somewhat frequently, but always the same and always with good results. Check out the link and try them again - they can be good! :~}

[ul][li]Country Ribs[/ul]