Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did my 2nd cook today...Good ribs for me, but

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
they would not equal the ribs of some old-time cookers here. They were a noticeable improvement over the Weber, as you might expect. I would do them differently the next time. I only had 2 hours or so to get them ready for my wife and two of the teenage boys. So I used Jim Slotterback's recipe for cooking them at 375 degrees for about 2 hours after rubbing them with Corky's seasoning, garlic powder, black pepper, and Lawry's salt.[p]They were quite juicy, but I would rather have had 4 hours or so to prepare them and then I would cook them at 275 degrees using JJ's recipe. Oh well, I did learn a lot about controlling temperatures and adjustment with the slide and daisy wheel. Definitely a very good smoky taste and very tender, although they were not fall off the bone done.[p]On a side note, I also cooked 4 sweet potatoes cut in half, rubbed with butter and doused with maple syrup, placed in tin foil and cooked for an hour and a quarter. Outstanding!!!

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Paul B.,you might also try cooking them indirect at 250º .
    I find that 3.5 to 4.5 hours will pretty much cook an average size rack of back ribs to 'pull' from the bone doneness...I really don`t like 'fall' off the bone...a little mushy for my tastes....[p]I remove the membrane from the stomach side of the ribs, rub them with my favorite rub, sweat them and cook them at 250º with some applewood for smoke, after the bark has 'set' I spritz them with applejuice periodically.......I brush on some sauce just as I`m taking them off the pit....[p]I cut my bbq sauce with Billy Bee honey....yummy sweet.....[p]keep working on the ribs, when you get them to where you and your family like them you will be proud...[p]Mop (sippin on the Bacardi & Coke)
    [/b]
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Mop,
    Rum 'n Coke is my favorite drink too, but alas, the good doctor ColdFinger has removed it from my list of consumables until I get some weight off. My wife has me eat'n a lot of bushes and I do seem to be losing some pounds but life is not good under these conditions. If you don't mind, drink one for me. I will savor the moment as if I did it myself.[p]Thanks[p]Spring Chicken

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Spring Chicken,Hey!, no problem sir, I`ll have one tonight on your behalf just after 11pm when I get home from work..[p]Coke has just come out with a new flavour that goes incredibly well with Rum...its Vanilla Coke, I`m not a huge vanilla fan typically, but its mild enough to really enhance the rum.....when its time for you to 'get back at er' give it a whirl....[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Mop,
    Thanks for your assistance in my time of need. I have tried the new Vanilla Coke and I like it. Plan to try it with rum next time I can drink the good stuff. Meanwhile I'm drinking water on the rocks.[p]Spring Chicken

• Unknown
    Options
    Mop, thanks for the advice. I will definitely try it your way the next time.