Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does size matter?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does size matter?
I'm not sure if I should buy a medium BGE, or break the bank and buy a large BGE. Is bigger better?[p]CV

Comments

• BarbieQ
    BarbieQ Posts: 41
    Options
    CV,
    Go for the large--you won't regret it.

• Gator1
    Gator1 Posts: 37
    Options
    CV,
    I am perfectly happy with my meduim egg. I cook for my family of four and have planty of room. Would I like a large instead? SURE! But my budget said medium! If you can afford the large, go for it! If you can afford the medium only, you will love it just as much!
    Jim[p]P.S. I just added a mini for camping and smaller jobs!

• Unknown
    Options
    CV,
    I say go for the large if you can afford it at all. I just usually cook for my family of 3,but there are times ill cook on it for the folks at work or something along that line, so I need the extra room. I would really like one bigger is they made one. You will very happy with either one.
    Happy Cooking

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    CV,
    I got a large but now want a small, if I had a small I would want a large.

• Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    Options
    CV,
    Buy a medium for 2 reasons..... #1 the money that you save in initial cost can be parlayed into the cost of meat and lump charcoal, hence you will get A LOT more enjoyment out of the medium, since you will have extra $ for meat, lump charcoal and accessoires you'll have a lot more fun.
    #2 it will give you a perfectly good excuse to spring for a large later on down the line. [p]But again, keep one thing in mind.... what do you NEED? If you have a large family and will reguarly take advantage of the 18.5 inch grilling area over the 15 inch grilling area, then it just might be a better investment. If you will only take advantage of the 3.5 inches 2-3 times a year, who really cares? Why spring for a large if you are only going to use it to entertain OTHERS a few times a year.
    -Joel

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />CV, I only have a medium, but then I only cook for self and wife - occasionally a few guests. I haven't found anything yet (except a large Turkey) that my medium wouldn't do - it gets up to temp quickly and serves my needs.[p]What can you make on the medium? Check my web site at the link and good luck on whatever size you select :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    CV,[p]Both Eggs have the ability to do a great variety of cooks with the large being able to provide more of everything. The large Egg has approximately 50% more grilling area than the medium. As the cooking characteristics of the Egg provide the opportunity to greatly expand your cooking experience, I would suggest the large Egg.[p]I own all four Egg sizes and generally cook for two, with as many as all four going when cooking for company. When cooking for two, I use the medium or small Egg. When cooking a low and slow meal or a large piece of meat, I use the large Egg. The mini Egg is just pure fun and still makes the best steak.[p]Using two Eggs allows the opportunity to cook using two different temperatures, smoke flavorings, etc. The best combination of Eggs that provide the most versatility is the large and the small.[p]Best of luck on your decision.[p]Spin
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />CV,[p]Great advise so far. (get a large) As you can see it's kind of a personal preference. (get a large) Whatever you get you will be happy with it and probably want more than one. (get a large) I started with a large, added a mini, then almost bought a medium but decided on a 2nd large. It wasn't that much more than the medium, can do everything the medium does, and can do more of it. (get a large) Bottom line is get what you can afford or what you willing to wait to afford (get a large). Good luck.[p]Chuck <><

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Chuck, did I sense a common theme? :~}

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Chuck,
    What a beautiful pic! That should be displayed on our home page...pics of Eggs thingy.
    good job!
    :)

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    CV, it doesn't make any difference. Sooner or later you'll decide you want another one no matter which one you get. Just get one. The large is not too large. The medium can cook a lot. You'll like it and you will want another one.

• Unknown
    Options
    CV, If money is not a controlling factor I would opt for the large. There is just the two of us but when we do entertain its nice to be able to get it all on the barbie. Lots of luck, Bully

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    CV,
    I just got a large to go with my medium!

• Chuck
    Options
    BBQBeth,[p]Thanks, it is a very relaxing spot after a long day in the city.[p]Chuck <><

• Chuck
    Options
    Gfw,[p]You got me there. Although I am pro large BGEs, you and you web page sure give a good argument for the medium. Thanks for all the work you have done on your site, it is a great resource.[p]Chuck <><
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    CV,
    I was at our local BGE dealer's store recently and he told me about a customer who bought a medium less than a year ago and now wishes he'd gotten a large. I don't know his circumstances, but I am certain that if you get a large now you won't regret it later. We never considered anything but the large, and I cook only for my wife and myself most of the time. However, I will add that since getting the large we seem to be having a lot more company for dinner!!

• Unknown
    Options
    I just wanted to thank everyone for the information. I think I got it figured out. I need to buy 2. I wish! :)[p]There seems to be consensus. Size doesn't matter; but it sure is nice! :)[p]I think I'm going for the large.[p]Cheers,
    CV[p]