Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brunswick Stew

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to know the best brunswick stew recipe.....and suggestions?[p]thanks

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    dawgfan,[p]There are several in the recipe section. Try Red's. I have made it several times with a few twists of my own and it has come out great.[p]

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    dawgfan,
    I can't believe a "dawgfan" is asking for Stew recipes!!! Just kidding. Whatever you do, don't put lima beans in it....that is a yankee thing. Boy am I gonna catch some flak over this! If you want really authentic stew, you must start with a hog's head (boil it til done), a chicken or hen, and if you have rabbit or squirrel, add them. De-bone the meat, put in a large pot, add onions, tomatoes, some tomato sauce, a bottle of catsup, salt, pepper and cook really slow. Toward the end of the cook, add corn. I loke to have some creamed or pureed corn, and some whole kernel. Some of the old timers around here have taken to running everything through a grinder, and maybe that is okay for the meat but stew is best if it has some texture to it. When everything is ground, you get a pablum effect. What I think would be good is to cook it in an iron pot on the Egg really slow for as long as you can. I haven't done this but I have been a part of the cook when it is cooked in an old iron washtub, stirred with a wooden paddle, over an outdoor fire. The smoke that gets into it is what makes it soooooooooo good. BTW use canned tomatoes, sliced, diced, crushed, whatever and lots of them as well as lots of onion. Now remember, don't put no butter beans in that thar stew!

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    dawgfan,
    I just purely forgot......in lieu of a hog's head, etc., use some pulled pork that you have cooked on the Egg along with the chicken.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    brunswick3.jpg
    <p />Gloria:[p]You might appreciate the linked recipe. I have since increased the tomatoes by a second 102 oz. can and add them as the stew cooks down instead of thinning with water. Nothing better than Brunswick stew smoked with some Jack Daniels or pecan chips!

[/b]
  • djm5x9, your stew looks great - but those stainless steel heavy duty struts holding the dome up look impressive. Who made them?

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    kat, you have to understand that djm5x9 likes to cook on "alternative" cookers in addition to the BGE. He does pretty good though on most any cooker. :-)