Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian pulled pork

Options
Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
[p]Ok - im going to take my butt and picnic to 200 degrees and 'pull it'. Understand please that i have never tasted this or seen it for that matter. The far north (ontario) is quite a ways from the southern parts of the U.S. So once it hits 200 degrees i remove it a pull it with a fork. Then i add barbie sauce - do i mix it all up or do i add the barbie sauce as i place the pulled pork on the 'cheap' hamburger bun. Is that all there is? Brian

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Brian, Whereabouts in Ontario are you? There are a good number of Eggers here in Ontario. Pulled pork is awesome, probably the easiest/finest bbq meal, IMO.
    Yeah, take to 200 internal, break it open and 'shred' (it should come apart in strands or small chunks). There may be a bit of fat and connective tissue left unrendered; just push that off to the side. When you have the entire piece of meat reduced to a nice pile of pure shredded meat, you can either sauce at that point, add some seasoning if you like or just put it on a bun 'dry' and leave saucing to the consumer's choice.
    Most of all, enjoy your efforts; pulled pork is a great traditional bbq meal!
    Qfan
    London, ON

• Brian
    Options
    BBQfan1,thanks for the info. I am from Mississauga. We are going to go with the whole 'shredded' endevour. Appreciate your input. Have a nice day. Brian [p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I prefer to leave the saucing to the customer, so to speak. I like to dip the sandwhich in sauce that has run over onto my plate, too. I think NC barbecue would have the sauce on it already when you get the sandwhich. Believe it or not, I've lived here in NC 28 years and I don't each much barbecue from the restaurants because I don't like the traditional vinegar based "sauce".
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Brian,[p]Just so you'll know, all this talk about PP has prompted me to dig one out of the freezer for tomorrow night. See what you started?? Grin![p]Kelly
    Jefferson City, MO

• Brian
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, Great !!![p]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    PP_040900_121004.jpg
    <p />Brian, you might just a well get a little hungry while you wait. [p]And for a quick, but great BBQ Sauce...
    Put the following ingredients in a blender and thoroughly mix. [p]1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1 1/2 cups of catsup
    1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
    4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 dashes of hot pepper sauce [p]Refrigerate what you don't use -- it gets better with age. [p]Comment on the BBQ Sauce from Bob...[p]Just finished blending up a batch of your sauce. That is some good stuff and wanted to say thanks for sharing it. [p]I never leave anything alone (a bad habit of mine) so I took about a fourth of it and added a squirt of mustard, a tsp of chopped garlic and a good half shot of Jack Daniels. As Emeril would say...that kicked it up to notches unknown to mankind. Try doing this next time you make a batch and see what you think.[p]Thanks again,
    Bob[p]

[ul][li]Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Brian, nice to see another Canuck doing up some real bbq..[p]Say, we are going to be competing at the Brantford Summerfest this July 19-20th (21st weekend warriors) , if you can you are most welcome to stop by the 'Little'N Large' BBQ teams camp.....stop by for a cold tea and a warm crumpet...LOL[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Everything is permissable, as folks have indicated. However, if you decide to sauce your meat, it is my experience that, if you are going to have leftovers that you will be freezing or reheating, DO NOT sauce that portion that you will be saving for another day. The pork does better if you sauce it after you have reheated it.
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Brian,
    Just wanted to say that you will thoroughly enjoy this meal! Make sure you post a followup to your pulled pork meal and let us know how it was.[p]What kind of wood are you using? For pork I like hickory the best.

• Brian
    Options
    Mop, thanks for the comment. If we happen to be out that way we will certainly give you the hi sign. Cheers - Brian