Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steak

Devo
Devo Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a flat iron steak and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to grill it?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I personally like to pound it with a tenderizer and marinate in EVOO, lime juice, and garlic then sear it for 2-3 minutes per side until medium rare. They are also my favorite cut to use for fajitas. Another option is to splash it with worcestershire and a little salt and pepper.

Inspect it well and if there are any ribbons of sinew or gristle cut them out for a better steak.
  • Devo
    Thanks Fidel, I'm trying the fajita thing
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Devo...you shoulda called me...this recipe is the absolute bomb for a flat iron and the wiffie will think you have gone gourmet!!... :woohoo: may be too late for this one, but save this and give it a try..it's one of our favorites!

Maple-Mustard-Glazed Balsamic Steaks

1 or 2 Flat Irons
    1/3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
    1/3 Cup pure Maple Syrup
    4 TBSP Dijon mustard, divided
    3 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
    1 Tbsp EVOO
    1/3 cup chopped pecans
    2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    3 oz crumbled blue cheese

1. Combine vinegar, 1/3 cup maple syrup, 2Tbsp mustard, and thyme in shallow dish or zip-top freezer bag, add steak(s) to coat. Cover or seal and chill for 2 hrs minimum, turning occassionally.
    2. Heat olive oil in large heavy skillet over medium high heat, add pecans, stirring to coat. Stir in 2 Tbsp maple syrup, and cook stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove pecans from pan and spread on wax paper to cool.
    3. Remove steaks from marinade. reserving marinade. Sprinkle steak(s) with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temp for 30 mins.
    4. Setup Egg for direct sear at high temp (600+)
    5. Sear for 60 seconds per side.
    6. Pull steak off egg only long enough to get to 600 dome then back on the egg for 3 ½ to 4 minutes per side or to internal of 125-130
    7. Remove steak from egg wrap in foil for 10 mins.
    8. Whisk together reserved marinade and remaining 2 Tbsp mustard in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and simmer 2 minutes or until sauce is thick and syrupy.
    9. Cut steak(s) into 1/2 inch thick slices, sprinkle with pecans and blue cheese. Either serve with sauce for dipping or pour sauce over steak before adding pecans and blue cheese. ENJOY!!
  • Devo
    Thanks Tucky, I wish I'd asked you about this when we were talking last night, I was more wrried about the brisket, I'll try this next time, it sounds great.