Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg

egguitarist
egguitarist Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings. Have been a lurker for some tome. My LBGE
was delivered at three this afternoon. Cooked some chicken, baked potatoes and some hot tub steaks for dinner. The wife was really impressed, and so was I. :)
Since it is Mem. wknd and I tend to jump into things, I am trying a brisket tomorrow. I had no trouble maintaining a 400 deg temp for the chicken and bumping it for the steaks and I have some backup redfish in case the brisket becomes a bricket. Any advice for a first timer? I owe tonight's dinner to all of you that post regularly. I'm in Friendswood Tx if anybody is close. Thanks in advance
Raul

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    brisket on a second cook is rather aggressive but keep the temp at 250-265 and allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound and you should be fine. do until internal temp of 195 and pull then wrap in foil ang a couple towels and let sit in a warm cooler for a couple hours then slice and enjoy
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Talk about jumping feet first! There are many sites that wil tell you how to do a brisket but the jest is 250ish indirect till meat temp of roughly 190ish. When fork goes in and out of meat and can twist somewhat it is done. I have only done 3 briskets so far and from expert but over cooking creating dry meat has been my bigest challange. Keeping the fire going at constant temp for an extended time I think will be your biggest challange. If you cook it at 250 to 190 meat temp. it will be fit for consumption :laugh: so keep the fish for later. The brisket experts, like Thirdeye, will chime in latter.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    In addition to slotcercenary's advice...

The following is assuming you do not have a powered vent device.

Remove the old lump in from your last cook and make sure the air holes are clear. Put some large pieces of lump on the bottom grate, then some smaller pieces and finally your used lump which should not have much ash on it.

Fill the lump up the fire box and about 1/2 way into the fire ring. Light the lump in 3 or 4 places. Begin closing the bottom vent and top vent until you are at dome cooking temp (stated above).

It is important you make sure you have the lump lit well. I light at 3, 6, 9 o'clock and in the center.

Your vent setting will be aproximatly - 1/8" open on the bottom vent. Top vent, slider closed and pettles 1/2 to full open.

Make sure you are stabilized and are holding the correct temp. If you are using smoking wood add it close to but not on top of the burning lump. Put in your furnature however you are going to set your cook up along with a drip pan. Your egg may drop in temp somewhat - don't play with the vent settings. Temp still holding - add your meat and thermometers if you have them. Temp may drop, don't adjust your vents.

In about an hour check your temp if good get a few hours sleep then check the temp again. Get some more sleep and check again, do this over until morning.

Your brisket will stall when getting hotter, don't worry about this plateau as it is a good thing and is what you want.

Check your meat temp and continue cooking. You should not run out of lump during this cook.

When your meat gets to temp, pull it and follow above instructions.

If at any time you run into problems jump on the forum. There will be someone on who will help you at any hour.

Let us know how it turns out and good cooking.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    This is not rocket science and you should be fine. Brisket is a great cook. People suggest to pull from 190° to 200° meat temp. I pull between 195° & 200°. I do test for fork tender.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

GG
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Congratulations and welcome to the EggNation! Glad to hear that your first cook(s) turned out well. Gotta do a practice run on the low-and-slow temperature adjustments before tackling an overnighter like a brisket or pork shoulder. I'd recommend some fatties first, then some ribs, then I'd try some longer cooks. Be sure to shut the vents to meet your target temp, otherwise it takes a while for the egg to cool down if you overshoot the temp--especially if it is running hot for a while and the ceramic gets a chance to heat up.

There isn't a running list of the forum members available on the site any longer, but it used to say where people were from (if they filled out the part of the form stating where they're from...)

Based on your handle, I had to post this for you (it's probably my favorite one in the stable)
    IMG_3931.jpg

Have fun with the cooks this weekend!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Mike, Your a rock 'n roller!? You seem so calm and pratical unlike me and bill! :laugh: Now you go and shatter the illusion. Next thing you'll tell me you ride a Hog! My world is crashing around me. :blink:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    You didn't see my t-shirt from the TX Eggfest? hehe... Yeah, I don't have the big old drum set from when we lived in Florida any more--too loud. I believe the homeowner's association would run me out of the neighborhood :) Still play the guitars, and (now) an electronic drum kit.

I asked the boss about getting a bike for commuting to work. Guess what the answer was? I even offered to get additional life insurance just in case I had to cash in early. Guess what the answer was? About the closest I'll get to a bike would be to park next to one :blush: :( She threw down the old veto on that one FAST!
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Mike,

I remember your submariners hat from the Texas Eggfest when Jeeves introduced us, but I don't remember the t-shirt. I guess I'll have to go back and look at the photos we took.

Since you posted the guitar picture, I have to ask you if you saw ZZTop in Austin last week. It was crowded and hot, but there was some GREAT guitar work going on.

Thanks for your service to our nation. Have a great Memorial Day holiday.

Bevo (Colin in Austin)
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Congrats!!!

Welcome to the club.

Greg