Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does The BGE make everything taste good

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK so I don't like fish...except Pecan Tilapia on the BGE..so with the help of you fine folks my wife and I tried Salmon. She loves fish but not SALMON :S

but she is a good sport and willing to try it...well....we both thought it was very good

almost ready
IMG_0468.jpg

cooking with planked sweet mashed potatoes
IMG_0465.jpg

ready to serve
IMG_0469.jpg

yummy...plated with zucchini, tomatoes & onions

IMG_0471.jpg

would you believe seconds???

IMG_0473.jpg

Thanks for all the help folks...

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    That looks great Kim!!! Never planked potatoes but have seen several posts. Gonna have to try it. Yours look good.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Pat this was our first attempt. We liked them very much. The wood is Alder planks. It is not supposed to be as strong as cedar...we did forget the green onions but the wife and I both had seconds...

btw we are making Bloody Mary's in the AM...LOL

and Nutella Quesadillas for tomoorow nights dessert...it should be a good day... :P
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Enjoy. I'm doing a brisket tomorrow to take to our daughters pool party sunday.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well what was the recepie.. don't keep us in suspennse{sp}

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've not had a lot of luck preparing Lucky Charms on the egg, but other than that everything else turns out real good.

Salmon will grow on you, especially when you really hit a good one. Go to the Fresh Market on PIB in Suwanee and get fresh line caught King salmon and you'll never want that farm raised stuff again.

I was in Seattle last week and had Copper River King from the first day of the season. I know the marketing BS that surrounds it, but this stuff was like buttah - unbelievable. I would love to get my hands on that stuff (for a reasonable price) and egg it to see what happens.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Always thought the marketing suff was hooey too, until I had my first Copper River. Oh baby!

Fidel wrote:
    I've not had a lot of luck preparing Lucky Charms on the egg, but other than that everything else turns out real good.

Salmon will grow on you, especially when you really hit a good one. Go to the Fresh Market on PIB in Suwanee and get fresh line caught King salmon and you'll never want that farm raised stuff again.

I was in Seattle last week and had Copper River King from the first day of the season. I know the marketing BS that surrounds it, but this stuff was like buttah - unbelievable. I would love to get my hands on that stuff (for a reasonable price) and egg it to see what happens.
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    You guys made me crave salmon tonight too. Sooo, I've fired up the new MINI.....it has a chemical smell right now....gonna let it burn off ...hopefully. But I got my salmon all sliced, rubbed with olive oil, sprinkled with shakin the tree, and some lemon slices with white onion on top. We'll see. pics to follow.

Kim also
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    A good piece of Salmon is a gift from the Gods !
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Options
    BGE can even Bluegill taste good baked... Thanks JLockhart
    P5230001.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Those are some nice BG, but I got to ask, how do they compare to floured and cooked in grease until crispy? -RP
  • kolbdriver
    Options
    Truth be known, they don't compare but stiil OK.. Can't beat deep fried till crisp..
  • AZRP
    Options
    There are just a few things that God intended to be fried, not that they can't be done other ways, but fried is the ultimate. Like wings, fries, blue gill. calimari, etc. -RP
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Terry,

I used the recipe that you posted, well sort of. I cooked the salmon on a Alder plank. I cooked it indirect w a platesetter at 400 degrees for 40 minutes....it really was good...and very flaky

the marinade was soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, honey, br sugar and red wine....it was a good marinade & sauce...

we will do it again...

tomorrow I will cook a beef brisket flat.... :cheer:

after a trip to RD...
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Kim, The food looks great! There's nothing wrong with trying new things. Looks like yall hit one out of the park!
  • kolbdriver
    Options
    We caught enough to have a few to try other ways....
    P4110005.jpg
  • AZRP
    Options
    Very nice!! I see a couple nice crappies in there as well. -RP
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I love catching bluegills on a 3 wt bamboo flyrod & spider flies I make...it is soo much fun... B)

I will be at Callaway Gardens next weekend doing that very thing...yippee
  • kolbdriver
    Options
    Yea, Crappie like crickets too. Hanging out with the BlueGill also... We had a good day..
  • kolbdriver
    Options
    Was using 10 foot Buck pole and crickets, still lots of fun.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I love the crickets to fish with also...one of my buddies actually eats the crickets...yuck...

of course alkehawl usually is involved...lol
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    try it direct next time if you want a little more smoke...

i have not done the planks indirect... that i remember :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Sucks at making ice cream.