Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic, Butt, Shoulder

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that I'm an expert (ha ha) on butts, do you cook picnics and shoulders the same as butts?[p]TNW
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]The Boston Butt and the Picnic combined make up the entire shoulder, and you cook them all exactly the same way.

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    If you are cooking a picnic rather than butt, I would trim it down to be able to get smoke on the meat. Remove skin and a lot of the fat, you do need to leave 1/8 to 1/4"
    of fat because the picnic has less intramuscle fat, injecting would be a good idea.
    If you are cooking the whole shoulder then I would remove the hide and some fat from the butt end but not the picnic.
    The butt will help keep the picnic moist. Again I would suggest injecting.
    I would cook any of this product to 195º internal, I find that with injecting and that internal temp the finished product has better moisture content and still pulls easily. It will also stay moist longer once it is served.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Go with Jim Minion's suggestions. He knows a hell of a lot more about Que'in than I'll ever know. :)

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    I've never removed the hide before. Our shoulders have always come out moist and tender. I'll try your suggestion of removing the hide next time just to see what happens. Thanks of the suggestion. Damn! I love thiss thing called The Big Green Egg!

• Big-R
    Big-R Posts: 36
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, [p]Hey Whiz, I did my first shoulder from the local W-D yesterday just like the butt method: 240 degrees, indirect, drip pan, grid elevated on bricks. Started a 7.72 pounder at 11:00pm Thursday, reached 205 degrees internal temp by 2:00 pm yesterday. Pulled it at 6:00 pm for dinner. Excellent... Simple to pull, little fat, wonderful flavor. paid $6 for the shoulder, yielded about 4 lbs pulled pork. May never go back to butts, way less fat/membranes. Some of the best Q I ever ate, better that the $9 for 8 oz servings at any Q restaurant. [p]Give it a go, you may never go back ....[p]
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Big-R,
    Do you mean a whole shoulder or a picnic?
    Chuck

• Unknown
    Options
    GaDawg,
    Got to believe that he is talking about a picnic, or one real small pig.
    Jim

• Big-R
    Big-R Posts: 36
    Options
    im Minion, given that it was my first, it was probably a picnic, didn't really look closely. Will pay more attention next time. Thanks to all the Forum Folks for the great notes on how to cook it. I am "Da Man" around the house now cause I can cook real BBQ...........[p]Randy