Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Burgers

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think it was mad max who introduced me to the idea of grinding brisket for burgers. That was a year or two ago. I finally got around to it after seeing a "reduced for quick sale" brisket at the supermarket. It was only a 2 pound piece. I partially froze it, cubed it and double ground it with the Kitchen Aid. The burgers were fantastic. I'd add a little more fat next time as the meat I used was well trimmed. But there will be a next time!
Paul

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Ahhh, the joy of grinding your own meat. Its the only way I do burgers. -RP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    how'd the kitchen aid grinder do? how long did you take?

we should get together and make some sausage. the ladies can cook dinnah and we'll make some stuff from the book.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mr. D
    Mr. D Posts: 32
    Options
    Save yourself some time and ask the guy behind the meat counter to " double grind" the brisket you purchased. He will also trim out as much fat as you wish
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i guess the one benefit of grinding at home is the lower likelihood of contamination, and that means that freaks like those of us who enjoy a rare-cooked burger can feel better about it. though if your butcher is a reputable guy, and cleans the grinder religiously, it's probably as safe as at home.

still, a lot of meat passes thru a commercial grinder, and that increases the likelihood of some beasties hiding in the grinder waiting for your beurger to come thru.

just a thought... though, it's a lot less work to have them do it, you are right!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    That occurred to me when I bought the little brisket. But it is pretty cool to grind your own. The brisket I bought was painfully well trimmed of fat. I guess you could ask the butcher to toss some back into the mix. They already look at me funny when I ask for stuff like untrimmed cuts but I think that's kinda cool too.
    Paul