Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aged Porterhouse from Peter Lugar

Options
Haggis
Haggis Posts: 998
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My daughter, bless her heart and her new income, has sent me a birthday package of Porterhouse steaks from Peter Lugar Steakhouse in Brooklyn (peterlugar.com) This place is generally held to be the best steakhouse in New York City and, some say, in the US (there are reviews on their website,) where the women of the family hand select the beef each day and the selections are dry-aged in-house. At 35 ounces each, these things are nearly two inches thick and have the most beautiful marbling I've ever seen.

Now I need to refine my Egging technique - I've never been handed this level of responsibility. I know the Methuen bunch - Fishlessman and Stike - do this all the time but I need some recommendations and advice on how to handle steaks of this quality and this size. I've got hot-tubbing down pat for bone-in ribeyes from Costco, but those aren't quite the same thing. What are your suggestions to make this wonderful gift even better with the Egg?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    hi ya wally old buddy old pal of mine :lol: :evil: :evil: .. ..let me know when you want me to come over and help supervise the grilling of that bad boy and taste test it with you :cheer: :cheer: :whistle: i'm more that happy to help out. .. personally, i'd do a standard t-rex. ..

heat up the egg to around 800 degrees... .do a nice 90 second sear per side ...cool down the egg to 400 degrees then let it 'roast' till its done exactly to the temp you want it (around 125 internal). ..then let it rest under foil for a good 10 minutes before slicing for me (er - you) . . .maybe make a nice herb butter to melt over it. ..i'm not sure i'd treat it with anything more than some kosher salt and pepper either. . ..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    ive grilled a few nice pieces but am no expert ("do this all the time" ive only cooked a few ). trex is good, i roast those steaks with bones after the sear at a lower temp, 350 is good. the biggest thing with these is time, they cook fast so use your thermapen and check sooner than you normally would. i dont use rubs with these, just some coarse kosher or seasalt. love that luger steak sauce, someday ill figure out how to make that. aged beef is very filling, plan on splitting that steak with someone
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Haggis
    Options
    Hey Max! I didn't mention that her new job is at Inova Fairfax, not far from you. She's a pediatric emergency doctor and will be in their ER. She got familiar with Peter Lugar during the last couple years doing a fellowship in NYC and living in Brooklyn.

TRex, or maybe reverse TRex, is the obvious approach here but I thought I might see what else folks suggest for something of this quality. I'd sure hate to do these anything but perfect!

I'm not sure I can invite you over for this event - these each can serve two people each and I think her boyfriend makes up three of the four all by himself.
    But if they turn out as good as they look, who knows - I may try them again.
  • Haggis
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts!

The Lugar website suggests that these are "for two" - they also have steaks for three and four, and apparently they serve them sliced and reassembled.

The package came with two (!) bottles of sauce - I'm not a big user of sauce on steak but everything I've heard about their's sounds pretty good.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im not big on sauce for a good steak, but theirs has a homemade characteristic. save it for a club steak
    fukahwee maine

• Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    I have smoked them to rare internal temp. Then trexed/seared/scorched (you pick) at 650-700 for a couple minutes/side. Then tent for ten minutes or so. That way you have smoke infusion with outside carmelization and they come out medium rare. Kinda best of both worlds.

Cheers
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you've already got the low-down. i think Trex (or reverse Trex is better) would be the way to go.

they do cook faster, and you really cannot go by feel, since the meat is very firm. roast slow, then crank the temps and finish at the end with a sear. use the thermapen

if you put anything but kosher salt and pepper on it i'ma hafta come down there and hit you over the head with the leftover bone. sauce on the side is cool, sure, but don't go 'flavorizing' that thing with rubs and such.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Haggis
    Options
    Thanks for your recommendation!

I couldn't figure out why Lugars elect to include two bottles of their sauce, which looks like something I'd use to make Bloody Marys with all the horseradish in it. I haven't used sauce on a steak since the '60s when A-1 was all the rage. My regular seasoning routine for ribeyes is a slight wash of Worcestershire and a light sprinkling of salt, garlic powder, and coarse pepper, but my role models - you, Fishless, and Mad Max - seem to agree on the S&P.
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    I've used the Peter Lugar sauce - the local Publix sells it in the meat case. It is nothing special. Good addition to ground beef but a horrible thing to put on a great steak!

Wayne
  • Salty Dog
    Salty Dog Posts: 89
    Options
    I like brushing a little melted butter on the steak before the salt an pepper. The butter actually burns in the sear, and gives the steak a very, very slightly "charred" flavor that is surprisingly enhancing. I'd try it first a on a nice NY strip though to make sure you like it. You don't want to be too much into experimentation with those babys... enjoy 'em!!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its actually meant to be put on the salad, tomatos and cucumber and onion works for me, no lettuce
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    holy crizzap. if fishless and i are your are your "role models" you are headed for trouble.

i haven't had a dry aged steak in a while. but i think i know what i'm eating this weekend.

enjoy it. have you had it before?

you might not notice a big difference right away. takes time to find the funk. might be a good idea to cook an NY strip (small one) next to it and do a side-by side.
  • Haggis
    Options
    What's wrong . . . you afraid to accept the responsibility that comes with the honor? ;)

I don't know that I've ever had a dry aged steak. I've had wet aged at some "fabled" places in DC but knew they weren't special when the waiters were reluctant to get into detail about the aging process. On the other hand, I've had plenty of steaks that sat in the freezer for a couple years . . . they should nearly qualify as dry aged!
  • stike
    Options
    well, i hope you like it.
    enjoy
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    0517081808.jpg
    I Trex these Rib Eyes for a min. per side, set them aside wile I got the Egg down to 400* then 4mim a side foil and rest for 5min.
    Good Luck,
    Ross