Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

orange smoke techniques?

Options
Palisin
Palisin Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got married 06/22/02. The Wed before the wedding 2 beautiful butts were prepared for Thursday evening. I rubbed the meat with the traditional spice mustard mix. I tried a couple of different things. The first was I put a drip pan under the meet with a concoction of fresh squeezed orange juice, beer, and cider vinegar. Second I threw the orange peels in on top of the lump when I started the burn. I have to say and all who ate said it too this was the best barbeque they have ever had. Usually there is some leftover meat. NONE. All I had was the my version of "I fought the slaw and the slaw won". I am planning on making some ribs for the 4th and I am going to use the same technique. (I like the meat to slide off the bone) I am also planning on making some real baked beans a. I have an idea of mixing in some canned navy, pinto, and great northern beans, fresh jalapenos, onions, beer(a must), molassis, sugar spices etc. Anyone try this before? Have Great Independence Day my fellow Americans.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Palisin,
    I haven't tried any of the ideas you came up with but now that you have brought them to my (our) attention, I will probably try it. I like creative cooking. Thanks for sharing your ideas and have a safe 4th. Also, congratulations on getting married.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Palisin,[p]I think any flavor you noticed came from the orange peels in the fire. [p]Several of us who own WSM's have experimented extensively in the "flavored" water pan and all of us agreed..NO flavor imparted on the meat whatsoever.[p]After all, how sophisticated are our palates? You have rubbed the meat with an array of spices and mustard, you have smoked it with various woods and lump charcoal and maybe even put sauce on before eating. How much more can you really discern from water flavoring and burnt orange peels? [p]Also, I question exactly how much flavor would be imparted, especially on a pork butt. Unless you were tasting the bark only, none of that flavor gets down into the meat.[p]I am all for experimenting, I have done much of it in my years of BBQing. However, to test your theories, do them on ribs. Much thinner and much more surface area will be affected. This will give you a true feeling for any flavors that have changed. [p]You should also do the testing in a "blind" format. Only one person, someone NOT involved(I always used my wife), who knows the true identitiy of the meats you are testing. This takes away the VERY powerful sub-concious mind. This will then give you a TRUE reading on your experiments.[p]Just one man's opinion.[p]Stogie
  • Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Options
    Stogie,
    Thanks for your opinion. Several points of interest that need clarification I guess However the flavors imparted were mainly in the bark. The second thing was the moistness of the meat because of the extra water present as steam during the cook. I have cooked enough professionally and for pleasure to notice a difference. I am as in the post planning on the ribs. If your palate is scarred by cigars you may not be able to discern as many flavors. You failed to address the real question which was about the beans. The rest was braggidocio, and soi-disant about a successful cook and doing something different.
    Stogie if you like cigars I have a churchill made in Ohio you can puff on.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Palisin,[p]I will be the first to admit my taste buds are pretty shot at this ripe old age! LOL One reason I no longer do many experiments.[p]I agree that the water will make a difference in the moisture level of the meats you cook.[p]As far as the beans, I have a collection of Baked Bean recipes and the ingredients you mentioned all sounded pretty darn good to me. Matter of fact, I am making a new recipe tonite for serving with the pork butt I am fixing this weekend.[p]A stogie made in Ohio??? Now that sounds interesting! Ohio doesn't really conjure up the image of tobacco, but most folks are also surprised to find out that Connecticut is the largest producing tobacco state.[p]Send me the name of the manufacturer or the store and I will gladly try one out![p]Thanks and keep on Qin'!![p]Stogie