Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate Prep?

Options
thillin
thillin Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a new CI grate for my medium. Do I need to season it, or just oil and cook?

Thanks

Comments

• Sweathog
    Sweathog Posts: 75
    Options
    I've been using mine for 9 months or so, and never seasoned it. No problems whatsoever. Just let 'er rip. It'll be fine. By the way, your grid will crack along the edge at some point, but that's to be expected, and it will cause no problems. Enjoy your new grill marks!

Sweathog

Nashville, 37209
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    I just started cooking and it is working just great. Haven't done a thing to it.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I think that I just sprayed some pam on mine and let 'er rip. Nothing in the way of maintenance except to brush off the little goodies after I cook. I use the thing so much that it doesn't have a chance to get nasty.

Have fun with that grid--it's the best for direct cooking. I still like the porcelain (original) grate for indirect because it is much lighter to get out of the cooker if you have to make adjustments.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I washed our new CI grate for the small with soap and hot water because I didn't know that oil or other preservative might be on it from the manufacturing process. Then I started cooking on it. After half a dozen cooks it looks well used.
  • The Anchorman
    Options
    Where did you get the CI grate? Through the BGE site or did you improvise? :unsure:
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I asked when I purchased mine at the mothership and was told that it was pre-seasoned.

Greg